So, after a hiatus from serious backpacking for several years I've decided to get back "into it." Here's the problem: I am just not sure what the sweet spot for gear/trip difficulty should be.

My previous experience consists of several mild to moderate hikes in the southwest (1-3 days), innumberable day hikes, and 3 straight weeks of bushwacking and mountaineering on the Kenai Peninsula with Outward Bound, plus another 4 weeks of various backcountry activity with them (rafting, etc--it was a semester course in college).

So here is my current plan and *tentative* gear list:

Taking the husband and myself on a 3-day (on trail) hike in the Poconos to field test the new gear. Shooting for a pack weight of around 35-40 (doesn't have to be that heavy, figured I'd load it up for training). Then I'd like to get in at least one more weekend trip (Catskills, maybe) before we go to Yosemite the last two weeks of July.

Here's some of the new stuff we've acquired:
--Marmot 2-person tent, Titan, 4lbs 10 oz
--2 40 degree sleeping bags, North Face, 2 lbs 9 oz each
--Compression sacks
--I have my eye on a Gregory 70 Deva, he's still undecided on a pack. I need to go in and try a few once I get over my current run in with the flu (yuck).
--he has some old Lowa boots he wants to keep, I'm choosing between a pair of sturdy trail runners, a heavier pair of Asolos, and a Gore-Tex mid-weight pair of Lowas.
--clothes, we both already have plenty of layers, long undies, etc. I got a new pair of hiking pants, wrecked my last pair caving in the Atlas Mtns (Morocco). My Mountain Hardwear pile jacket is a six year old trooper and REFUSES to die on me.

Still to buy:
--camp stove and pot
--sleeping pads (husband wants inflatable, I prefer foam closed cell)
--various small items, topo maps, bear canister, etc.

Here are my principal concerns:
1) I am worried that the bags won't be warm enough at elevation in Yosemite. We want to do the Sawtooth/Matterhorn Canyon trail in around 6-7 days, I believe the highest elevation is 9,500. I've never dealt with elevation before and I don't know how to judge, but I have a sneaky feeling these bags will not be warm enough even though the temp chart I looked at said 50F as a low at night.

2) What on earth kind of shoe do I need? My old La Sportiva mountaineering boots are hell on earth--they were great on glaciers and miserable everywhere else. But at the same time I'm terrified that if I don't go with the sturdier looking Asolos I'll snap an ankle or the like. Yet, the Lowa Tempest Lo trail shoes I ordered look awfully appealing and have a sweet agressive sole on them. OTOH, I'm also concerned about the lack of ankle protection during rattler season. Help!

3) What is a "normal" pack weight? I was used to carrying 75 lbs in Alaska, I remember a fifty pound pack feeling light. Husband is rebelling at the thought and honestly I'm not hungry to relive dragging around over half my body weight, either. Is it realistic to plan on around a 40 pound pack load for a week in Yosemite? No snow, no ice--so no ropes, helments, ice axes, etc. We're bringing very minimal cooking gear (alcohol stove and one pot+lid, two bowls, two sporks).

4) I always wore my pack very low on my hips (maybe with the top inch or two of belt above the top of my hipbones), but the ones I've tried seem to want to pop up to where they are sitting on my waist whenever I move around, bend, etc. Is this just inevitable, or is there a hipbelt or pack design that helps those of us who like to wear them this low? I HATE when the darn thing pops up near my belly button.

Thank you so much! Know that was a terribly long and rambling post