I have observed that a lot of the "newbies" posting here, and that term is relative to being new here, not necessarily to one's level of experience, and not all are new at all, but are returnees to backpacking after a lot of time has passed.

Anyway the actual beginners here are trying to learn from respected mentors because they are smart enough to realise that they don't know enough to stay alive in the woods by their own wits, at least currently. They don't even know what they don't know yet.

Another bunch is looking at light weight camping and wondering if its for them and wanting to know what others more experienced have found. They have some experience, are often young and into trying new modern things, and they are becoming gear heads.

BUT, another very large group is the returning backpacker. These guys have some experience, own some gear that may be bomb proof, boots maybe, probably a pack stove and tent. This group needs to figure out how to use the gear they have, leave out what they don't need, and decide what new gear they want or need.

We often go through long theoretical gear lists for people with next to nothing, who are starting from scratch. The returnee needs articles on how to use the gear he has, what to leave out, how to go lighter without spending much.

just a thought, guess I need to go camping. Hey Mt bachelor closes its annual season on Sunday with the pond skimming contest, and no I do not skim ponds full of ice water. The day before is the biggest race around Bend, its the Pole, peddle, paddle. You cross country ski up at Mt Bachelor, bike down to town 20 miles (past our house where I ring my cowbell), run up the trail on the other side of the road and back, and then paddle down the Deschutes to cross the finish line.

Jim