Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128544 - 02/10/10 11:51 AM New to backpacking
Bramer89 Offline

Loc: Lafayette Indiana
Ok so i have never been back packing before Buti love being in the outdoors and hiking. I call myself an adventurous and love to do new things. I like camping "exploring" new land and seeing new sights. So i figured well backpacking is pretty much a mix of everything plus alittle more. So what I am here for is to learn alittle more. Right now i wont be doing any crazy over night backpacking when its cold but would like to get pointers before the spring gets here. What i would like to do is find places within a close distance to my area where i can travel and backpack on a weekend and be home to work on mondays. Are there any people from indiana that have ideas of places that i could go. Thanks for the time guys and any information. I would type more because theres plenty more to type but boss man has walked by a few times and don't wanna get in trouble wink

#128546 - 02/10/10 12:25 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Bramer89]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
I have never been to Indiana and thus cannot offer any personal or specific information about places close to you. However there is bound to be a lot of information out there, so do a quick Google search, call into your bookstore, REI or other outfitter and there you will find lots of maps, guidebooks and probably a lot of first hand experience of your area. Another option is to look on meet-up websites like meetup.com and see what camping/hiking/backpacking groups are in your area-- not only will this be helpful for locations, but it will give you people to head out into the backcountry with and people who can offer their experience.

I am sure someone with first-hand experience will be a long shortly to offer better information than myself.

#128549 - 02/10/10 12:43 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Bramer89]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Lafayette, huh? Head pretty much due south to Crawfordsville - a bit southwest of Crawfordsville (15-20 miles) is a state park called Shades State Park. It's got some incredibly beautiful terrain, with trails running along the bottom of some ravines down to Sugar Creek. There is some moderate elevation gain and loss. The public campground is Class B - most people tent-camp - no Chinese Lanterns and big RVs here (they go a few more miles to Turkey Run State Park, which is a resort park.) Best of all: about 2 miles out, accessible only by foot, is a backpacking campground. It is on a bluff above Sugar Creek, and has a water faucet and nice privy. It's a great place to practice backpacking technique and get comfortable with your gear, without having to go full-bore dealing with water purification or waste disposal. (There are plenty of streams where you can practice water purification, though.) It's not crowded, and is one of my favorite places. It's safe (if your tent fails in the rain, or it turns unexpectedly cold, an hour's walk from the backpack camp gets you back to your car) - I used to bring Scouts here for their first overnight backpack. But it still feels "wild" - I remember lying in my tent one night in the backpack camp, listening to a pack of coyotes a mile or two off to the west, and getting a shiver down my spine when another pack answered, about a mile to the east - and I sincerely hoped they didn't decide to come meet in the middle!

Send me a private mail with your email address, and I'll send you some trail maps and other information about the park.

#128550 - 02/10/10 01:16 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Glenn]
Bramer89 Offline

Loc: Lafayette Indiana
Thanks for the responses guys. Shades state park is on my list of places to hit when the weather changes again. I have been to turkey run but it was when i was alot younger and with my parents. So that also is a place i would like to visit. I will be PMing you here shortly and i would really appreciate the maps.

#128551 - 02/10/10 01:33 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Bramer89]
Ken the Bear Offline

Loc: St Louis
Welcome. Your in good company here.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 201 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum