Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126719 - 01/12/10 10:07 PM Need help with 3-season clothing.
Teller Offline

Loc: Denver
I am looking for clothing advice for 3-seasons in Colorado. I keep looking in the F/S sections of various websites and I find items that I like, but never pull the trigger because I just cannot make up my mind if they are items that I will actually need. I don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes that will just sit in my closet-- so I am looking for help on a definitive list, or at least some possible suggestions for purchases that would suit my three-season needs.

I have a standard Marmot fleece and a Marmot windproof softshell, which I am satisfied with for mid-layer insulation. My fear is that the fleece could be a little bulky, so just out of curiosity, are there any relatively affordable alternatives?

For base-layer tops I was considering the MTS crew, Capilene 1 or 2-- are any of these adequate enough for my needs? Too light, not heavy enough? Any other alternatives, suggestions or combinations?

For a rain jacket I was just going to opt for either a Marmot Precip or REI's Taku, the latter of which was offered to me for around the same price as the Precip. I'm looking for advice on what to go for?

I am also looking for advice on outerlayer pants. If you was only purchasing one pair for three seasons in Colorado, would you go for a pair of rain pants like the Marmot Precip or REI Ultra Light Pants, or would you go for some quick drying pants like the REI Saharas?

I am really just looking for some guidance on what to buy or items to consider. Thank you in advance for your time.

#126725 - 01/13/10 12:01 AM Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. [Re: Teller]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I wouldn't over think this one. Your layers as described sound pretty good. From the outside in, I use a Columbia rainshell that I was given at a conference a few years ago. It is lightweight and waterproof. I don't need more. Under that I wear a generic fleece top when it is cool or cold. As long as I am moving, this keeps me more than warm. Under that I wear a USN GI khaki short sleeved dress shirt that never shows dirt, never needs ironing, and dries in seconds. I love it, and I got it for $1 at a thrift shop.

And on VERY cold mornings I will leave my sleep top on for a while---it's a long sleeve underarmor shirt that wicks really well. So for cold weather that four layers of insulation--all of which dries quickly and folds up small.

And for those keeping score at home, the fleece also came from a thrift store. I think the whole ensemble cost me less than $10

Pants? A pair of convertble synthetic hiking pants that dry in seconds. If it is too cold to hike in those, I get in the sleeping bag and wait for warme weather!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#126819 - 01/14/10 10:42 PM Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. [Re: balzaccom]
Steven Offline

Loc: United States
I have to throw my support behind the thrift store deals. While I haven't found anything for $1.00, I have found several great items. First I found a pair of synthetic pants with zip off legs. Then a nice Eddie Bauer merino wool sweater, a down vest (Compresses down to the size of a small water bottle), a north face and a patagonia pull over jacket. All that for $20.00.

If your lucky you will find all sorts of stuff. Then go out and use it. If you end up not liking it, or end up falling down and tearing something you won't feel so bad. smile

Good luck.

#126830 - 01/15/10 09:56 AM Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. [Re: Teller]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Test different thrift store products in the JeffCo open space areas. Getting out there is the key to finding stuff that works for you.

#127004 - 01/19/10 06:05 PM Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. [Re: ringtail]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Main precautions for thrift store clothing: Hold fleece up to light to make sure you can't see through it. Check for ripped seams, holes, busted zippers. Chances are good that, unless you really love sewing, you'll never repair it. Try it on to be sure it fits. (If you really love sewing, consider making your own!)

It may take several visits to several different stores to find everything you need.

The athletic (not outdoor) department at big box stores (Target, KMart, Wallyworld, etc.) may have some good clothing buys, also. Nylon shorts or track pants, breathable tops, etc.

I'm not a fan of REI (Really Expensive Items) clothing, for the most part, unless it is marked way down. Much of their women's clothing is either cotton or designed for women with no hips! I like their lightweight MTS base layer fabric in that it's softer and cheaper than Patagonia Capilene--except when you can get the latter on sale. I have the latter (Capilene 2) due to being able to get it on closeout, which was cheaper. Admittedly, I ended up with some weird color combinations!

Most people recommend lightweight base layers, even for winter. The main purpose of a base layer is to wick moisture away from your body. And you don't want to sweat while you're moving!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/19/10 06:14 PM)

#127010 - 01/19/10 08:57 PM Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Look for sales. I am wearing a Patagonia fleece I bought on sale for $15 twenty years ago (or was it twenty-one?). Still works great. And it is not the oldest fleece I still use.

Really good stuff lasts and lasts and is a good bargain in the long run, even if purchased at list price.

Edited by oldranger (01/19/10 08:57 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum