Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124218 - 11/23/09 12:27 AM Total Beginner Trip Planning.
Odin Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hello everyone,

I have recently got very intrigued by backpacking. As a kid me and my parents would always go vacationing and it included quite a bit of hiking but always returning to a hotel. We have stopped doing that for quite some time now and I have gotten not so physically fit. Now since I am graduating grade 12 this year I thought I would take a trip down to the states and do some car camping/backpacking. Since we are about to hit the dead of winter I will not be able to get out and try any local trips until pretty much I graduate. I am trying to find someone to go with me but most of my friends are going to work this summer it is most likely I will be going solo. I am trying to save up some money to get some gear and travel money. So far I am thinking of having one or 2 day backpacking trips then a few days car camping resting, and eventually by the end of my 3 - 4 week trip work myself up to maybe a 3 or 4 day trip. I will try to get more fit during the winter but I have no idea where I can start. So could any of you possibly give me any ideas for what I should get as gear, exercise routines or trip planning as I am very new? I have been doing a lot of browsing and reading up about it but still feel very uninformed. Any advice would help greatly. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Ivan

#124222 - 11/23/09 12:59 AM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: Odin]
phat Offline

Well, where to start...

1) backpacking's not a way to get fit - unless you do it a lot more than most of us - it is, however, a good excuse to get more fit.. one that works for many of us.

2) When it comes down to it - backpacking is just walking. You wanna train for it? walk. Since I see you're in Alberta, I'll assume Edmonton or Calgary.. if it's Edmonton, head down into the river valley with a sturdy set of shoes and poles and just walk trails.. neat stuff down there.. or drive out to Elk Island park east of town.. If it's Calgary, take the train for Fish Creek and wander around there, or walk the elbow reservior, or head over toward bragg creek, etc. etc.

3) Avoid gearing up in store - unless you're made of money don't walk into MEC and say "Gear Me - I'm going backpacking this weekend!" you'll pay a lot, and it'll be heavy. Look at some of the gear lists posted on the parent site to this one (the 18 lb 3 day list, and the 27 pound 7 day list on www.backpacking.net). Both should give you ideas. My gear list is in my signature below. Once you do your reading and have some ideas - good places to find gear:

- The stores (MEC, Campers Village, Track N Trail, etc.)
- THRIFT STORES! - fleece and wool abound here! CHEAP!
- Other backpackers in your area who have too much crap lying around.

Do remember that MEC *RENTS* gear cheap in both Edmonton and Calgary - it's not very light, but is functional and can get you out on a trip without comitting to hundreds of dollars worth of gear.

4) I'd avoid dead of winter until you're sure you like this stuff. it's not for everyone - and a bad trip when you're new can turn you off for life.

5) start small - simple overnighters, close to a bailout point - so if something doesn't work right, or you don't feel right, you're an easy walk back out in any conditions. Easy to find places to do this anywhere around you. You'll rapidly gain the confidence in your skills and your gear so that you're more confident, more comfortable, and you'll be much happier starting out on that 3-4 day trek knowing you're fine with what's on your back instead of wondering about it. lots of little areas near edmonton/calgary to do this. PM me for hints if you want.

6) Best thing, find a buddy to go with. - Look before you leap, and while you need to be careful, remember, it's supposed to be fun. Don't overthink it.

7) Unless you are grossly out of shape, and can *not* walk or have cardiac or other health issues - you don't need to get yourself ripped to go backpacking. as long as you don't overload yourself, or overdo it, remember, it's just walking. Yes it's *easier* if you're in better shape, and you can go further, but if you always wait to be in better shape, you'll never get out. Get out.. Getting in shape will happen too.

Browse my pictures

#124259 - 11/23/09 06:34 PM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: Odin]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
well if you stick around here long enough, you might be suprised what'll happen. if your not sure what i mean, read my new guy post.

I also am a 17 year old senior in highschool.

I'm bascially in shape, but i've still gotten tips from people about it. they all say to just get a pack, or just your book bag, and pull it tight to your back, like your hiking pack will be, and just walk. he said you wont be running, but just walk. find a hill and walk up and down it, and find a stick to use as a walking stick for the time being.

I have my gear so i "train" by walking with my gear and treking poles. Get your bookbag and pack it down with weight, and figure out what weighs about 20 lbs, and just walk with it.

Then, camp out. if you dont have land, or a tent, then just lay in your car with the windows down one night. it wont be as comfortable, but you'll get the point.

Dont blow alot of money on your first set of gear, because you may get out, and hate it. You may think, and say different, but once you have one bad experience, its hard to forget unless you really, really love it.

thats basically my 2 cents worth right now Just get out and do it!

#124288 - 11/23/09 10:45 PM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: MrPhotographer06]
Odin Offline

Thank you guys for the great tips. Thats exactly what I am doing. I am using backpacking as an excuse and motivation to get fit, I never thought I would get fit by backpacking alone. Thats a good idea about the training, I do live on an acreage so I should just walk the land. With everything I read that would be the best bet. I never thought about thrift stores for cheap wool. That's an interesting idea thank you. Thank you for also warning me about gearing up in store. I was actually thinking of doing that, but definitely will not any more. Once I get my gear I will definitely do some camping on our property so if anything I can just walk back home nice and easy. Thanks once again for both of your tips. Another question, If no one is willing to come with me would going alone be feasible? Or would that be to dangerous and then I should just scrap the idea for now?

#124293 - 11/23/09 11:29 PM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: Odin]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I can't say "never go alone" because I almost always go alone (except for my dog). However, I have 67 years of backpacking and other outdoor experience, and I know my limitations. If you ask around you should be able to find people to go with. Look for hiking/backpacking clubs or forums in your area.

The best place to get experience is your back yard, where, if the worst comes to the worst, you can bail out. You mention that you live on a large property; try camping on the "back 40." You need to be really familiar with your gear before you leave home. For example, you should be able to set up your shelter at night, in wind and rain, without the directions. One of the most important skills is learning to regulate your body temperature during exercise and while stopping to rest, in all sorts of conditions. You don't want to sweat while you're moving (it will chill you when you stop), but you don't want to get chilled, either. It's especially important to add layers when you stop for rest, lunch, whatever. You also need to learn to keep your critical gear dry, set up and break down camp in the rain without getting wet, etc. You can learn all of this around home. Once you've done a little, pick nasty weather conditions. It's far safer to learn to cope with these close to your house. Of course there's the temptation of that nice warm bed just inside, which makes this harder to do!

Look at the lists Phat recommends (I recommend them too, but he got here first). Since you and he live in the same area, his lists should be especially helpful. Make a similar list for yourself, including weights, and compare. Take your time getting gear--you can rent or borrow for starters. There's also used gear.

Your idea of starting with 1-2 day trips is good. Your first trip or two should be close to the car, again so you can bail out if everything goes wrong.

If you do end up going solo, pick popular trails so that if something goes amiss, you can be sure that someone will come along pretty soon.

#124315 - 11/24/09 10:42 AM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
When I started getting to know the outdoors, I progressed from easy day trips to longer hikes and climbs, to really longer trips where we returned in the dark, to finally overnights and then longer trips. At first, I was always with a group or a companion. You will know when you are ready for solo trips. They have their own rewards.

#124327 - 11/24/09 01:18 PM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: oldranger]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I would do plenty of "over nighters" before I ventured too far off on my own, for the first time, at least. An over nighter will let you utilize most of the gear that you are going to use long term any way. It just lets you use it once rather than night after night but you can still get the practice and the experience that you need. You can especially get checked out on the three basics...Your shelter, your sleep kit and your cook kit. The rest should take a little less practice unless you have a hard time STARTING A FIRE...sabre11004... awesome awesome awesome

#124403 - 11/25/09 01:15 PM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: Odin]
lori Offline

I go hiking 2-4 times a month, and that's pretty much all I do to stay in shape for backpacking. You can probably go to a gym and get more in shape and then hike faster than me, possibly with more weight, but I average about 8-14 miles per day and have managed to build endurance to the point that I can do it with only a few short breaks. I pack anywhere from 20-35 pounds of gear and food and water, depending on trip duration and season, and I typically go to the Sierras from Yosemite to SEKI - many hikes involve significant amounts of elevation gain/loss. I also carried a 20 lb pack for 8 miles in three hours to qualify for SAR, with 1000 feet of gain.... I started hiking again after a decade and a half of not doing anything at all, and have been working at it for three years now. Being an athlete of some sort or being young helps immensely; it's been interesting restarting the habit this late in the game, and I routinely am left behind by the twenty-somethings in the hiking group. However, the one thing about backpacking that works for everyone is that you hike your own hike, and it's always possible to find people who will match your preferred pacing for one reason or another. I also fish and take pictures everywhere I go, so pausing is part of my plan.

You will need in order of importance:

1) good shoes/socks - absolute must if you are to maintain the habit and go often. Shoes that fit, socks that wick and keep your feet warm in the colder seasons. If you have the proper footwear you will find you keep moleskin only to give to the less fortunate.
2) good sleeping gear. A shelter that matches your particular needs, the bag or quilt that's adequate to your lowest possible temp (some folks have two bags, a 3 season and a winter bag), a pad that keeps you warm and comfortable (warm being the more important of the two, tho I do place a high degree of importance on comfort myself).
3) a decent pack to carry the gear, that fits you and lets the weight be carried in comfort. Fit being the most important thing about the pack - if you find a fifty dollar pack that fits, and a gimmicky expensive pack that almost fits and costs two hundred more, pick the one that fits. Nothing inherently better about the expensive packs other than they seem to work for some people or for some functions. Some of the lightest packs will cost you less than the Osprey/Gregory/Arc'teryx types.
4) A good layering system with clothes that will keep you warm and dry. This doesn't have to be expensive - it does have to be something other than cotton. I used to hike in jeans, can't do it anymore - nylon and polypro and wool are more comfortable.

In sleeping bags you can pick two of three: cheap, light and warm. You don't get all three unless someone gives you a Western Mountaineering or Montbell for Christmas. There are compromises that can be made, to get you lightER or cheapER.

You should go on shorter trips first not because you are out of shape but to test out gear and modify until you are comfortable with what you have. I have found that on the third day of a longer trip, my appetite stabilizes and my body adjusts to the pack and the activity... after a week long trip I actually had difficulty adjusting to the more sedentary schedule of going back to work! My metabolism has altered radically with just the hiking schedule I have (every weekend) and I lost weight. The only thing that will really get you ready for hiking is hiking... especially if there is elevation involved. Anything 6000+ can affect how your body responds to the efforts of packing gear up a hill.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#124431 - 11/25/09 11:19 PM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

OregonMouse gives you some sage advice there Odin.

From the looks of your postings, you're on an acreage somewhere
near Edmonton. I'm sending you a Private Message. It'll show up
as a little flashing envelope at the top of your screen. read it.
Browse my pictures

#124501 - 11/28/09 07:39 PM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: phat]
Odin Offline

Thank you all for a wonderful advice. I am having some second thoughts on how plausible it would be right now for me to pursuit my interest of backpacking and all of this info definitely helps me make my decision a lot. If I do start I will definitely do some over nighters, even in my own backyard to break in everything, and myself I guess. Hopefully I will be able to figure something out eventually. Thank you all once again.

#124514 - 11/29/09 01:36 AM Re: Total Beginner Trip Planning. [Re: Odin]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
It certainly wouldn't hurt your parents if you could get them interested in day-hiking, if not in backpacking. It would prolong their lives, as well as getting them more interested in your desired activities! Good luck!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/29/09 01:36 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum