I see that a knife has been dropped on REI's updated ten essentials list. [[oops - I guess they do have a leatherman that they show]] This term has been so overused, and is so coveted and deeply enshrined in our folk lore that frankly a lot of people buy these items and either don't carry them, don't use them, or can't use them, but they still feel safe because they have this stuff even though it may do them no good. confused

I'm thinkin back to the last time I wrestled a grizzly barr with ma Bowie knife goodjob . Sure I wuz glad ta have it but the barr et me anyways... shocked

I one time sat on a high point on a mountain, knowing full well where I was, with a current local topo map and one of those Silva compasses in the plastic rectangle. I tried to triangulate my position and could not AND I KNEW WHERE I WAS!!!
And I might add that theoretically I do know how to navigate by map and compass but I find it too slow and ponderous of a method to use. (I carry a GPS)

Other questionable "essentials" include repair kit, sun protection, first aid kit, fire starter, and flashlight. It might be nice to have these things, like the whistle that has somehow been dropped, BUT are they essential? That is - are they required? All of this is assuming that the fertilizer hits the fan smirk and you want something [technology, medicine, etc] to make it better. This is ballanced against - how BAD does it have to be to create a "bad trip" crazy and what does all that stuff cost and weigh?

I think a sit pad is pretty important and though it is covered under "insulation" in some cases "insulation" means "coat".

Now bear bells doesn't seem be on the lists that I've seen, atleast not in a very long time. I think the best way to avoid bears is to not camp where everybody else does. And what about my trusty snake bite kit and axe???
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (12/10/12 01:41 AM)