Hello all,

I'm looking into purchasing my first backpacking tent. I've used tents that belong to others, but I've decided it's time to get my own. I'm looking for a 2P tent with a primarily mesh construction, full coverage rainfly, and plenty of vestibule space in the $150 - $250 range and 5-ish lb weight range.

I'm currently considering three different tents: (1) Marmot Astral 2P, (2) Marmot Aura 2P and (3) Kelty Trail Ridge 2. (To avoid confusion, I have Pro Deals, so the costs of the Marmots is brought down to the $200 range). What have been other peoples' experiences with any of these tents? I'm particularly interested in what people think of the Astral 2P because it's hard to find reviews online since it's a new tent.

I'm really interested in buying one of the Marmot tents, but I'm afraid that the nylon bottom doesn't extend high enough vertically to combat any rain or sand that gets blown under the fly. Is this a valid concern? This is why I'm considering the Kelty...I like the fact that the nylon extends higher along the sides of the tent.

Finally (because I'm new to this and a little gear clueless) what is the difference in quality between a tent that's normally $300 - $350, like the Marmots, and something like the Kelty that's normally in the $150 range?

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Rebecca

Edited by Rebar Danjello (08/16/12 12:06 PM)