What do you think about quilts for winter use? I guess winter temps are relative...I am talking for use down to maybe as low as 15 but probably more often a realistic low would be mid twenties and more often would be used probably in the thirties and maybe 40s so I dont' want it to be so warm as to sweat me out, but then again that is less likely with a quilt than a bag.

I guess the bottom line is that I want a quilt to serve about the same niche as a good quality (marmot / western mountaineering) 15 or 20 degree bag.

I had a Golite down quilt for a short stint. It was supposed to be rated to 20 degrees. I used it on one trip where it got down a bit below freezing and was very cold even with layers on underneath. The specs on it were very close to those on the JacksRBetter Hudson River and the Nunatak Arc Alpinist; however, since it was of lower quality than either of those two I am not sure if it truly was equivalent to those two.

I am considering one of the three: the Jacks Hudson River. The Jacks Rag Mountain (true winter quilt) and the Mountain Laurel Designs winter quilt.

Or....I could stick with my Marmot Helium 15 degree bag. I know it will keep me warm but I don't like the confinemnt and I toss and turn a lot. I like quilts but am a bit skeptical about them for sub-freezing conditions.

thanks

Matt