Hello everyone,

In about a year from now I will attempt to backpack the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Oregon (through-hike California the long way) . I'm really having a hard time deciding what water filter will best suit my needs. Please reply with your suggestions on what to buy for this extended journey. The filter I'm looking for needs to be rugged, field maintainable, and under $150 if at all possible. I would prefer if I didn't need to use any chemical additives because I'll have to be constantly resupplied with them, and I feel that it's probably not a great idea to frequently ingesting chemicals that kill bacteria/etc. However, if you think that additives are the way to go, please make your case.

What dose a filter need to have on a long trip like this?

Does it have to filter out viruses, or can I get by with just protozoa & bacteria? I've been vaccinated against Hep. A,B, & C.

Is gravity fed a necessity, or will a hand pump do just fine?

Is this an area where I should sacrifice weight for functionality?

What else should I look for?

I'll be using both a Camelbak & Nalgene bottle.

In addition, what other gear do you think will be essential to making this adventure a success.

Also, if you're interested please visit the website I've published. As of this posting I've JUST STARTED working on it, but soon it will be full of content. Garrett's Pacific Crest Trail Experience