I'm 24, 5' 10" 150 lbs. Never been hiking before, but I'd really like to start. I'm located in the Chicagoland area so I'll mainly be looking for solo weekend getaways to Starved Rock and where ever else there is to go around here. I probably won't go if the weather is extremely hot or cold, seeing as that I am a beginner. But light rain won't stop me.

I'm looking for a day/overnight pack. My objective is to find one that can easily crossover into a school backpack because I'm a full-time student, and seeing that I'll be in a classroom more than I'll be in the wilderness, is why i have come here to ask for advice. School backpacks alone cost 80 dollars, so I figure if I'm going to make an investment, I might as well make it towards a dual purpose pack (if such ones exist). The problem is, I don't know which brands to stay away from, or which ones will last. I bought (and will return) The North Face Recon. It had the style and versatility I was looking for, but after putting two text books in it, there was a ton of pressure on my shoulders, and it was instantly uncomfortable.

My Price range is around $100 - $200 I might go over if I'm convinced the pack can do it all. And as far as colors go, I prefer to keep things simple, so darker colors like black, navy blue, gray, etc.

If there's any other information I can give or if there's anything it seems like im ignorant of, please let me know. TIA.