Hi!

I have a sleeping bag question. Since there's probably a million of these, I'm going to assume the responders are expert advice-givers and make this as clear and simple as possible.

NEEDS: I am stretching a 25L Backpack with an expanding top, along with a super-large lumbar pack, for 2-5 day adventures by using 1 pair of clothes, an ultralight henessey hammock, and ultralight packing principles/sacrifices. I need a sleeping bag that compresses very small for the bag, but I want to go winter camping and climb local mountains in midwinter in the northeastern US, often at moderate elevations like Mt Greylock and Mt Moosilauke. I will not be climbing in temperatures lower than 10º.

Sleeping Pad: I have a full-length rectangular Thermarest NeoAir with a high warmth rating. In the hammock, it covers everything except my feet.

Temperature: I sleep cold. I want to use this sleeping bag in the winter, but I also want something packable in as few liters as possible. I have a Sea to Summit Reactor liner that adds 10 or so degrees, and I sleep in midweight merino wool and Under Armour with extra thick wool socks. I have a pretty awesome ski jacket from L.L. Bean that I lay over my sleeping bag while I sleep.

What's my best bag under $400?

Since I have the hammock, I don't need to worry about moisture on the ground- down or synthetic doesn't matter to me. Weight isn't even that critical since I'm young and strong, just compressibility.

Best choice I have found so far: EMS Mountain Light: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4434443&cp=3677338.11326791.3705267

Thank you for taking the time to address another Sleeping Bag question- I really appreciate it!

Edited by mdilthey (08/28/12 11:44 PM)