So, as of late I've been fairly unhappy with my cheap $20 rain shell I bought a long time ago but haven't really used that much. I've got all the gear I need these days and anymore it is merely refining it over time now, and since last weekend it was raining for 2 1/2 days(we got around 10x the rain in that period than we average in August) and I was out in it, I got to thinking about a new rain shell.

The one I currently have works fine in keeping a light rain off of me, but of course it doesn't breathe and I doubt it would hold up against any kind of sustained, all day rain. So while it keeps out of the rains I've encountered, wearing it too long means I just end up making it into a sweat bag. Luckily for me, last weekend wasn't too cold(40's and 50's where I was at) and I just wore a long sleeve shirt that was quick dry, plsu the rain was on its tailend.

So, I'm looking for something that is far more breathable, not expensive(no more than $200), and something that might even have some sort of meager insulation would be cool(I think I've seen a few like that). I ask about the slight insulation thing merely because I would really only need this in cold rain situations like I almost had to deal with last weekend. I've yet myself to actually go out and look at anything myself as of late, but that'll probably be happening here shortly. But I was hoping some folks had some good experiences with their rain shells and would share and/or critique what they've used.

Thanks.