Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163663 - 03/10/12 01:25 PM Quick Hammock Question
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I know the Hennessy Hammock are suppose to be designed to where when you rig it you will lay flat, right? Does the ENO have the same design feature? It doesn't seems to mention it on their website.

I'm thinking about picking up the Pronet from ENO or a lightweight Hennessy next month. I may just buy the hammock and get the rest of stuff later. Just a hammock to take to lounge in on day hikes or something. I'm still on the mend and I'm about 2 weeks max to getting off crutches completely and I still go lot more to go strengthen my leg for cycling and backpacking.

#163669 - 03/10/12 03:28 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: ETSU Pride]
PDA Offline

I have a Hennessy, a great camping hammock. If all you want is something to lounge in during a lunch break, you'd be better spending $16 on a GT Utra Light. I have one of those also, and it is easy to rig it to get a flat, asymmetric lie. If you really need a bug net, it is quite easy and cheap to make one - see Fronkey's video. I added Amsteel suspension lines and a structural ridgeline which makes it as reliable in use as my Hennessy (but lighter).

#163671 - 03/10/12 05:16 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: PDA]
ETSU Pride Offline

Well, I may use it for lounging now, but may add parts to it for backcountry camping. Buying tarp, net, and all that later or searching the used gears market. I'm just comparing products right now I'm not ready to buy.

Edited by ETSU Pride (03/10/12 06:24 PM)

#163672 - 03/10/12 06:20 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: ETSU Pride]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
If you lay diagonally on the eno (or hennesy), it will be flat. That is all there is to the "design". I have been in hammock for years. Many of those with just the simple nylon bed. I used the rainfly from an old tent and was good to go.

#163673 - 03/10/12 06:25 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: DTape]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By DTape
If you lay diagonally on the eno (or hennesy), it will be flat. That is all there is to the "design". I have been in hammock for years. Many of those with just the simple nylon bed. I used the rainfly from an old tent and was good to go.

Thanks.

#163687 - 03/10/12 10:49 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: ETSU Pride]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
If you are looking for a true backpacking hammock with bug net fly etc. Hennesey is a excellent option. Bye the time you bye a eno get a bug net get a tarp. Guess what you have a customized eno with no savingings and the bug net doesnt zip shut! Just a thought and henessey isnt the only option

Better to try and fail than never to try at all!

#163688 - 03/10/12 11:09 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: ETSU Pride]
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
I just recently bought a Hennessy and so far am really happy with it. If you want more information that you ever wanted about hammock options, check out hammockforums.net.

#163692 - 03/11/12 12:15 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: palameto]
ETSU Pride Offline

Just one last question, on Hennessy website, is the weight listed for the entire package?

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock

Or just the hammock by itself?

Edited: I just saw the line, "webbing straps are weighted separately from hammock." So, I'm guessing the weight is the bug net, hammock, and tarp?

Edited by ETSU Pride (03/11/12 12:19 PM)

#163703 - 03/11/12 02:14 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: ETSU Pride]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
I have been looking at

these

Edited by immortal.ben (03/11/12 02:14 PM)

#163707 - 03/11/12 03:26 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: ETSU Pride]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Yup, it includes the body and fly, and all the integrated lines. Hammocks are great where the trees "cooperate."

Cheers,

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
Just one last question, on Hennessy website, is the weight listed for the entire package?

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock

Or just the hammock by itself?

Edited: I just saw the line, "webbing straps are weighted separately from hammock." So, I'm guessing the weight is the bug net, hammock, and tarp?

#163758 - 03/12/12 09:26 AM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: ETSU Pride]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
A friend of mine has an ENO. For the life of me, I can't lay flat in it. I think it is too short, for me at least. I lay flat just fine in my hammock. I am 5'9" for what it is worth. Of course, my hammock is homemade, and I made it fairly long.

#164698 - 04/06/12 02:58 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: ETSU Pride]
Outcasthiker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Get you a Skeeter Beeter. It's a great hammock for the right price. Used for many years.

#164756 - 04/08/12 11:28 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: finallyME]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I have the Hennessy Expedition and it is a wonderful hammock. So comfortable I lay in there all morning as my buddies wake up and start the fire. HAHA! I just can't get out!

I see Ductapes response...but I was always under the impression that the ENO is not designed for a flat lay. I slept in my friends ENO in the backyard a few times and I could not get a flat, or I should say, as flat, lay as the Hennessy Hammock. But then again I have nowhere near as experience as he/she does. I am have only been backpacking with hammocks for a year...

But either way, hammocking is the way to go for me, ill never go to ground again.

#166178 - 05/25/12 04:45 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: Outcasthiker]
mugs Offline

Loc: Kent, WA.
My personal favorite is Dream Hammock Danger Bird Next would be the Warbonnet Blackbird Any one of these two are way better then a HH, IMO. But what do I know I own 10 hammocks, and counting, plus all the other stuff to go with them. The above mention are my two top choices, that I flip flop back and forth on...but 90% of the time its the Danger Bird....Randy (Dream hammocks) is more then 6weeks out on builds...Brandon (Warbonnet) can get yours out in a week right now...something to consider.

And as others have mentioned check out hammockforums.net for more info...

Edited by mugs (05/25/12 05:32 PM)

#166179 - 05/25/12 05:14 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: mugs]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Hi, Mugs! Nice to see you back! I hope you'll drop in more often!

#166180 - 05/25/12 05:44 PM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: OregonMouse]
mugs Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Hi, Mugs! Nice to see you back! I hope you'll drop in more often!

Ya I know...I've been hanging out on the hammock forums this whole time...cool

But hey maybe I can come over here more often. Just don't ever get around to it I guess. I used to be very active on all my forums but I would say that my particiaption on all of them has dwindled alot this past year or so.

I will say this though, it does feel nice to be recognized, and also to see some of the same familiar faces.

Edited by mugs (05/25/12 05:47 PM)

#166762 - 06/12/12 11:19 AM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: mugs]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By mugs
My personal favorite is Dream Hammock Danger Bird Next would be the Warbonnet Blackbird Any one of these two are way better then a HH, IMO. But what do I know I own 10 hammocks, and counting, plus all the other stuff to go with them. The above mention are my two top choices, that I flip flop back and forth on...but 90% of the time its the Danger Bird....Randy (Dream hammocks) is more then 6weeks out on builds...Brandon (Warbonnet) can get yours out in a week right now...something to consider.

And as others have mentioned check out hammockforums.net for more info...

That looks pretty cool. For a minute I was turned away by its weight then I realized there a lot of stuff included in that weight. What exactly is the overcover? Is that the Tarp and it's sewn onto the hammock? Sorry for the long delay in replying, I've been off the grid.

#167695 - 07/07/12 05:21 AM Re: Quick Hammock Question [Re: ETSU Pride]
mugs Offline

I guess I should check in here more often, so sorry for responding to your questions.

The over cover the PapaSmurf uses is made out of M90 (Momentum 90) or regular nylon depending on what you want. It is used to block out the cold winds, and chills in the fringes seasons, or the occasional freak storm that blows in, or in the dead of winter. I got the M90 one because it is more wind proof. It adds about another 10f to your internal hammock climate, which is what I was going for.

Edited by mugs (07/07/12 05:22 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum