Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185514 - 06/02/14 09:38 PM Sierra Cup?
knight_time Offline

Loc: Monterey, California.
I just acquired a Sierra Cup and have added it to my growing pile of backpacking gear.

Do any of you use one? What are your opinions about it? It looks like its utility is limited, but then again, it might be useful in a minimalist pack.

IC.

#185515 - 06/02/14 09:59 PM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: knight_time]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I used to have one, years ago. It banged on my pack while I walked, it was too shallow to keep warm drinks warm, and it burned my lips when I drank hot drinks from it.

If you wanted to design a hiking cup, you would design the antithesis of the Sierra Club cup.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#185516 - 06/02/14 11:27 PM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: knight_time]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I have backpacked since 1970 and have never owned a Sierra cup. There is no special magic about them. It is a steel cup and hooks easily to the outside of your pack. If that appeals to you, then go for it.

#185518 - 06/03/14 02:06 AM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My first backpacking trip was in 1941, I horsepacked every summer from 1945-1958, car-camped and dayhiked from then through 1980, started backpacking again in 1981. I never used a Sierra cup. In fact, I now do not take any cup; I drink water from my water bottle and tea from my cooking pot.

There are less heavy metal cups (such as the IMUSA mug) that can be used to heat water if you add a foil lid. They are lighter and much handier. The Sierra cup is sort of traditional, though, if you want a link with old-timer backpacking. It's supposed to be sort of a cowboy thing, but although I knew a lot of cowboys in my younger days, I never saw any of them use a Sierra cup. Back in the days when nobody treated their water, everyone I knew used their hands to scoop water from a stream or spring rather than hauling around a cup.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/03/14 02:10 AM)

#185521 - 06/03/14 11:43 AM In defense of the honorable Sierra Cup... [Re: knight_time]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Yeah, I use one... but it doesn't seem popular anymore. I picked mine up (in titanium!) before I knew what I was doing. It is a good cross between a cup and a bowl, but like many multi-use items it doesn't perform either task particularly well. If I am splitting a freeze dried meal with someone its good for eating out of. It also works for hot cocoa/tea, though liquids do splash out rather easily. I usually backpack with others where we have one pot for cooking/heating water and then need a separate container to eat/drink out of. In that situation a Sierra Cup makes a reasonable choice.

A bowl might work better in this situation. It would be easier to eat out of a bowl and more vertical walls would probably hold liquids better, but the handle is good for not burning your hands. A cup would have a handle and be much easier to drink out of, but a bit more difficult to eat out of. It is a trade-off and I am not sure what I would choose if I had it to do over. In July my wife is going on her first backpacking trip with me. I bought her a Ti mug and will have a more direct comparison then.

#185529 - 06/03/14 07:46 PM Re: In defense of the honorable Sierra Cup... [Re: BZH]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I still have my sierra cup from back in the 80's (IIRC). I fondly remember using that thing as my only cup/bowl/plate on many trips. I suppose how I currently just eat out of my pot and use a ziploc bowl as a mug is a natural progression from that earlier minimalist state. I am planning on doing a trip using my old gear sometime just for funs sake. I am sure I will bring my sierra cup along for that.

#185538 - 06/04/14 09:21 AM Re: In defense of the honorable Sierra Cup... [Re: DTape]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
My Sierra cup dates from the 60s. The version I have is bimetal so it doesn't burn your lips. We carried it on our belts (rather than on our packs) as a kind of badge. When I was leading group trips for the Wilmington Trail Club we usually cooked in a common pot and divied up the food. The cup was perfect for that. I believe the Sierra Club did likewise and that that was the inspiration for the cup. It was also great for getting water in shallow sources, and I occasionally used it for cooking (with a foil lid). Haven't carried it in many years, but it's still something of a keepsake. Best, jcp

#185569 - 06/05/14 04:03 PM Re: In defense of the honorable Sierra Cup... [Re: JPete]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I lost my original back in some tall manzanita east of Loon Lake, close to Upper Bassi in one of my trips around Two Peaks close to Desolation Wilderness. Have not used the replacement for years now. Yep, badge of honor, kept handy on the belt when water was come upon.
Duane

#185571 - 06/05/14 06:50 PM Re: In defense of the honorable Sierra Cup... [Re: hikerduane]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I had completely forgotten about how we used to carry the sierra cup by looping the handle under our belt! Wow that brings back memories.

#185628 - 06/09/14 10:12 AM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: knight_time]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I had one way back when I would hike in the Sierras...but haven't used it since I moved away to different ranges. I have no idea where it is anymore. I won't be replacing it either. I don't see it as anything better than what I already have and use.

#185665 - 06/10/14 01:57 PM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: knight_time]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I acquired mine in the early '70s in high school when hiking in the Sierras. It was nice to just stop by many of the streams, scoop up water and directly drink it. Didn't carry much water as the streams were not too far apart. In addition, that cold water tasted much better than the lukewarm stuff in the pack.

Those days are gone and haven't used it in decades.

#185676 - 06/10/14 09:22 PM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I had one, too; haven't seen it (or any others) in years. Nice piece of nostalgia, but I agree you'd design the antithesis: a Titan Kettle or Jetboil cup.

#185679 - 06/10/14 11:46 PM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
I have mine from the 60's. Use them car camping still...work great for that.

#186087 - 07/08/14 04:10 PM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: knight_time]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I was intrigued by Sierra Cups also a few months ago because it seemed like my cooking system would do better with a pot with a little more width to catch the flames that climbed up the sides. I did a little Google'ing and found someone selling a set of three in varying sizes for just a few bucks so I got them.

I did boil tests on them all in series and was initially confused by the results. I thought the larger/wider ones would boil faster. It took me a week until the reason hit me: I wasn't using a lid. They didn't come with lids, so it didn't even occur to me. The larger the opening, the faster the heat was escaping. Duh! The next boil tests were more like my hypothesis.

After that, I grabbed a really large Ti one --with a lid! and a folding handle. My boil test on the Ti cup was very encouraging and I am hoping the versatility will outweigh the awkwardness of trying to drink coffee out of a bowl.

The three steel cups will be used for car-camping.

#186088 - 07/08/14 05:13 PM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: DustinV]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Cheap version of lid = piece of heavy duty aluminum foil.

#186090 - 07/08/14 05:43 PM Re: Sierra Cup? [Re: OregonMouse]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I just grabbed a lid from another pot for the second boil tests, but foil would have been an easy option.

The steel cups weren't big enough to burn 2 cups of water, so it made more sense to get the big one.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum