Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168591 - 08/20/12 11:30 AM Sleeping bag/quilt temp rating question
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
Is there a general rule of thumb about adding layers to a bag or quilt to suppliment the temp rating? I know temp ratings are subjective to begin with...

The reason I ask is I am considering a Enlightened Equipment quilt and would like to go with the 40degree quilt and hope it could be my 3 season option. What I am thinking is on any trip where temps drop well below 40 I could wear a base layer, I typically sleep in underwear only. I am also a hot sleeper.

Or...for about $20 and 3oz heavier I can go with the 30 degree quilt. Probably the smarter option....suggestions?

BTW I have camped twice in the last year at or below freezing, but I do have a 20 degree down bag that I "could" use, although I think I would still be tempted to try and use a 30 or 40 degree quilt in the spirit of weight savings.

#168592 - 08/20/12 02:11 PM Re: Sleeping bag/quilt temp rating question [Re: Cranman]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Generally, I rely on clothing layers only as a safety margin for the sleeping bag when conditions get colder than forecast.

I pick the bag to meet the lowest temperatures I expect to encounter. If my trip projects lows in the mid-40's, I take my 40-degree bag; if lows are forecast between 20 and 40, I take my 20-degree bag; lower than 20, I generally stay home.

This strategy worked very well for me one fine January evening, when the lows (predicted to be 20) ended up being zero. Fortunately, my bags are rated about 5 degrees conservative side, which got me to 15. Midweight longjohns, down pants, down jacket, down vest, down mittens, and down booties) kept me comfortably warm to zero. Of course, two other critical factors were an adequate mattress (Thermarest with an R-value around 4) and the fact that my bag was cut wide enough that I could wear all that clothing inside it without compressing the down in the bag or the clothing.

While many others may not agree with me, I don't see "Take a warmer bag and rely on my clothes to make up the difference" as a valid lightweight strategy. The risk seems disproportionately high relative to the 3-ounce reward of the lighter load.

I can't fault you if you come to a different conclusion - provided you're aware of the issues. I'd maybe suggest that, if you do go the route of relying on your spare clothing, it might be best to do a test run camped at (or a short walk away from) your car, in case it doesn't work as well as you hope.

#168594 - 08/20/12 02:38 PM Re: Sleeping bag/quilt temp rating question [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree with Glenn. I've been in too many situations in which the nights were a lot colder than expected. Like Glenn, I consider insulating clothing worn inside the sleeping bag to be a hedge against colder than expected temperatures, rather than a means of making an insufficient sleeping bag/quilt do for "normal" temperatures. I tried that once, and had a couple of sleepless nights as a result!

In any case, it's lighter to carry the extra insulation in your sleeping bag rather than in your clothing!

#168595 - 08/20/12 02:48 PM Re: Sleeping bag/quilt temp rating question [Re: OregonMouse]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
Yeah I know the smart thing to do is err on the side of caution, but what's the fun in that smile

I have not spent enough nights out in differnet conditions yet to know for sure how to gage my comfort level sleeping in different temperatures. I do know my Kelty 20F bag is fine in the lower 30's. I also know the Kelty bag is perfectly comfortable in a very leaky tent in a monsoon at around 60F, although the situation was somewhat disconcerting!

Also I have never been far enough out or put in a situation where my equipment choices could comprimise safety, but your point about situations changing is a good one.

I think the smart thing to do is go for the 30 degree quilt, it should be more versatile than the 40 degree, and worst case layer up make the best of it!

#168600 - 08/20/12 04:58 PM Re: Sleeping bag/quilt temp rating question [Re: Cranman]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Originally Posted By Cranman

Or...for about $20 and 3oz heavier I can go with the 30 degree quilt. Probably the smarter option...

^^^yeah what that guy said^^^^^

#168601 - 08/20/12 05:09 PM Re: Sleeping bag/quilt temp rating question [Re: Cranman]
lori Offline

Where do you go? I never leave without my JRB 3 season quilt. It is reliable to 25f before i have to start adding clothing. The Sierra Nevada can throw you snow in August... My rule of thumb is to plan for ten degrees below forecasted temps, and with the addition of clothing, to be able to survive 20 below forecast.

I have ended a trip early when a ranger informed us the forecast would be for a full thirty degrees below what the forecast Had been when we started hiking. My companion finished our hike to the car while wearing every stitch of clothing she Had - the day temp Had dropped that much.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#168630 - 08/21/12 09:18 AM Re: Sleeping bag/quilt temp rating question [Re: lori]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
You can always throw one of these in your sleeping bag.

http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Hand-Body-Warmer-Count/dp/B0007ZF4Q8

I only carry them in the winter months.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum