Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129741 - 02/28/10 11:10 PM bivies?
justme Offline

Loc: wyoming,usa
I want to get a 3 season bivie im about 6'2" 220lbs would like gortex or something simular with a screen and also a rainfly or some type of a pull over rain cover. I have been looking at a few but its hard for me to tell wich are better than others since I know nothing about them. any info is appreciated on what you would think would be a good purchase. thanks

#129751 - 03/01/10 08:40 AM Re: bivies? [Re: justme]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
Not sure I understand why you would want a goretex bivy with a rain fly. If its goretex it should be completely waterproof. No need for an extra rainfly. Unless your talking about a tarp or a bivy tent like a Eureka Spitfire.

You might want to check out the event bivies that Integral Designs offers. They sell a few with mesh and they are lighter then similar goretex models. Or get a military issue goretex bivy and have someone sew bug netting on it and save a lot of $$$

#129753 - 03/01/10 09:40 AM Re: bivies? [Re: justme]
moneymonk88 Offline

Loc: alabama
i just got back from doing an appalachian trail hike, springer mtn to woody gap. i used an outdoor research alpine bivy. it got down to 21 DEGREES at night and 30 mph gusts of wind...not pleasent to say the leasts... the bivy did great...i stayed warm and out of the wind all night and i only had a 30 degree marmot hydrogen bag... thought i would need to wear some clothes but i stayed toasty in just my baselayer...you do need to keep about 12 inches cracked open for ventilation...also not having to pack up a big tent in 30mph wind makes the cramped space worth it...i highly recommend this bivy!

#129766 - 03/01/10 10:35 AM Re: bivies? [Re: justme]
CWF Offline

Are you looking for a bivy shelter or a pole less bivy? If the latter, then you can couple with a small tarp for rainfree entry. If the former, consider eVENT fabric - as waterproof as Gortex but up to 10 times more breathable (depending on test). Look at the Integral Designs Unishelter or the Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy.

#129769 - 03/01/10 11:13 AM Re: bivies? [Re: justme]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By justme
I want to get a 3 season bivie im about 6'2" 220lbs would like gortex or something simular with a screen and also a rainfly or some type of a pull over rain cover. I have been looking at a few but its hard for me to tell wich are better than others since I know nothing about them. any info is appreciated on what you would think would be a good purchase. thanks

With all that, might as well get a solo tent. Some of those bivies weigh more than UL solo tents.

With bivies you use a tarp, which you generally buy separately.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#129775 - 03/01/10 12:57 PM Re: bivies? [Re: lori]
CWF Offline

I get the impression he may want something more waterproof - functionally - with a higher hydrostatic head than silnylon.

#129810 - 03/01/10 08:33 PM Re: bivies? [Re: moneymonk88]
justme Offline

Loc: wyoming,usa
Originally Posted By moneymonk88
i just got back from doing an appalachian trail hike, springer mtn to woody gap. i used an outdoor research alpine bivy. it got down to 21 DEGREES at night and 30 mph gusts of wind...not pleasent to say the leasts... the bivy did great...i stayed warm and out of the wind all night and i only had a 30 degree marmot hydrogen bag... thought i would need to wear some clothes but i stayed toasty in just my baselayer...you do need to keep about 12 inches cracked open for ventilation...also not having to pack up a big tent in 30mph wind makes the cramped space worth it...i highly recommend this bivy!

I was looking at that one. Is the zipper sperate for the gortex fabric and the bug screen? im intrested in a bivy like this. not one with just a bug screen and some type of over head support or a 3 pole design. I dont really want to have to carry a tarp also and some of theese are lighter then one man or solo bathtub floor tents. If ended up going with a tent a want a sewn in floor. so thats more of the reason im looking at a bivie

#129811 - 03/01/10 08:38 PM Re: bivies? [Re: justme]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Justme
If I understand you correctly you are looking for a one piece bivy sack for use with no other shelter. When the weather is beautiful and you don't need a bivy, or if you can set it up under fir trees, they are great. Spending a night in a storm, rain or snow, in a bivy is a drag, but nothing compared to getting dressed in a storm with just a bivy. If you suggest specific models to us, we can critique them, but only if you explain how and where you will be using it.
Jim

#129818 - 03/01/10 09:32 PM Re: bivies? [Re: CWF]
lori Offline

Cuben, spinnaker, PU coated, plenty of tarps out there...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#129824 - 03/01/10 09:54 PM Re: bivies? [Re: lori]
CWF Offline

Yes - but all with a lower HH.

#129825 - 03/01/10 09:54 PM Re: bivies? [Re: Jimshaw]
CWF Offline

Why would you get dressed in a bivvy in a storm?

#129833 - 03/01/10 10:34 PM Re: bivies? [Re: justme]
unclejoe Offline

Loc: Arkansas
What about the Mountain Laurel Designs bivies? I've been looking carefully at them though they are using Momentum for the top fabric with an eVent footbox capping off the toes. The Integral Designs looks rock solid but heavy to me.

#129834 - 03/01/10 10:39 PM Re: bivies? [Re: CWF]
Cesar Offline

MLD does sell a event bivy that can handle direct rain. Check out their Alpine Bivy.

Originally Posted By CWF
Why would you get dressed in a bivvy in a storm?

I think he just meant getting dressed while in a storm and only having a bivy as your shelter would suck. If you cant get dressed in your bivy you'll have to get out of the bivy and get dressed.

#129849 - 03/02/10 12:14 AM Re: bivies? [Re: Cesar]
CWF Offline

Yes - I was just kidding....

#129875 - 03/02/10 10:40 AM Re: bivies? [Re: CWF]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
I've thru-hiked the AT twice and carried a bivy both times.

The first trip was a relatively heavy Integral Designs job with no additional shelter. It had a wire that kept it off my face and a bug net. It did well, though I did get water in it several times when I was out in the open in a driving, long-lasting rain, I was using a synthetic bag then, so not overly serious.

Second time I carried an MLD bivy, but with an MLD poncho as primary shelter (and a down bag). Never tried the bivy by itself in serious rain,but was very happy with the performance of this outfit. It must have added several degrees to the performance of the bag (yeah, it was a WM). Bag was rated to 40F and two different nights I failed to bring my water bottle in with me. Both mornings I reached out of my nice warm cacoon and grabbed a frozen water bottle.

Furthermore, I've found that I like working with Ron Bell (MLD= Mountain Laurel Designs). Easy to work with, reasonable prices for what he makes, and understands trail life well, making it easy to communicate.

Best, jcp

#129901 - 03/02/10 05:54 PM Re: bivies? eVent bivy [Re: Cesar]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
If I ever decided to get a bivy it would be a very basic eVent bivy W/ no netting or poles. Mainly I'd use it for winter camping in snow trenches or quinzhees (piled snow mound shelters).

eVent is, of course, the most breathable waterproof laminate and that's very important in keeping a sleeping bag from acumulating more and more moisture each night.

Eric

#129931 - 03/02/10 11:54 PM Re: bivies? [Re: justme]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have done a lot of backpacking with just a basic bivy. I use the OR basic - it does have a mosquito net with a separate zipper. It weighs 1 lb 5 oz. I am failry small (5'4" 115lbs). I am a bit concerned because of your size. I feel the bivy fits me well. It is too long but this does give me a space so I can get all my gear inside. I really feel I need all the girth. I think you would feel very squeezed in this bivy.

Once you start adding the poles and fancy stuff, you can get a tarp tent for about the same weight. My bivy has several loops on the hood and I can lift the hood to make a sort-of tent by usng my trekking poles. This keeps my face free even when it is all zipped up. I personally would not get a bivy without mosquito netting. It weighs very little and when you need it you will be mighty glad.

I use a bivy for most of my trips in the Sierra. I use a tent for most trips in Wyoming. I have used the bivy a few times on short 2-3 day trips in Wyoming. But the daily lightning storms and intense rain are easier to deal with in a tent. I use the bivy a lot on the coast - where it is wet but quite warm and you end up wet anyway.

For me the biggest advantage of the bivy is that you can sleep nearly anywhere you can curl up. You can crawl under a big tree, sleep on top of a flat rock, sleep in the trail if needed, or on a hummock of grass. I never have to worry about finding a campsite.

#129933 - 03/03/10 12:18 AM Re: bivies? [Re: justme]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Here are two pictures showing my OR basic bivy set-up. The second one is with a small tarp. Both these were taken on a 12-day trip in the Sierra.

#129961 - 03/03/10 11:46 AM Re: bivies? [Re: wandering_daisy]
CWF Offline

Awesome pics - bivvying at its best!

#129967 - 03/03/10 12:50 PM Re: bivies? [Re: CWF]
Cesar Offline

Originally Posted By CWF
Yes - I was just kidding....

sorry, its can be hard to catch sarcasm via text : )

Those are great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

#130231 - 03/05/10 05:48 PM Re: bivies? [Re: Cesar]
Cesar Offline

If you need more room in a bivy you might want to check out the Nemo gogo Almost 2lbs though.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum