Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126039 - 12/29/09 07:25 PM need ultralight gear advice
moneymonk88 Offline

Loc: alabama
i recently started backpacking and i have to say it is something i plan on doing all i can in the future. i plan on section hiking the AT with a few friends that are equally as excited as i am. i have purchased some start-out gear that is very inexpensive. after my last outing i developed a hernia and had to have surgery. all is better now and i am dreaming of getting back out there. the hernia is made aware that a 40 lb pack is a little heavy for a 2 night stay. i am working on shaving lbs and i will buy gear as i have money. i will purchase quality gear when i can because i don't want to have to constantly upgrade. from the posts on this site that i have read it seems like i should start with a sleeping bag first. does anyone have any suggestions on a bag that is ultralight, compact and durable?

#126042 - 12/29/09 08:14 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: moneymonk88]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
There are many gear posts, topics etc. around here. Before going too far and with being new to the sport, I would start researching here, online, reading gear reviews etc. The more reading and research you do, the less you will have to have us rehash the topic. It will take a bit to research, but then you can get yourself up to speed on what works and what doesn't and for some stuff, experience will allow you to do with less. Enjoy yourself, lots of work ahead to be a responsible and prepared bper.

#126046 - 12/29/09 08:35 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: hikerduane]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Hi Monkey...

Good to hear that you are so excited. And a sleeping bag is a good place to start purchasing equipement. I agree with duane that half the fun of buying this stuff is doing the research...take your time and make sure you know what you are getting.

It helps to start by knowing what kinds of conditions you are going to see on the trail. If you don't expect snow or freezing temperatures, then you can get by with a 30 degree bag pretty easily. WE have some HiPEak Extreme bags that cost us about $60 apiece, and they are small, light, and pretty durable. We like them when conditions aren't too grim.

But your budget will dictate some of this. If you can afford down, and aren't worried about getting the bag wet, then you can spend a ton of money and get something really good and lightweight. But good, lightweight, durable and cheap are mutually exlusives characteristics!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#126059 - 12/29/09 11:57 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: moneymonk88]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Moneymonk
First off you have to understand the distinction between light and ultra light.

#126060 - 12/30/09 12:07 AM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: moneymonk88]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Go to the home page of this site and read the articles listed in the left-hand column. There is lots of wisdom there about gear selection.

The "27-lb., 7-day Gear List" was responsible for cutting my load for a 9-day trip in half. Without it, I would no longer be able to backpack at my age.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/30/09 12:09 AM)

#126065 - 12/30/09 12:33 AM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: Jimshaw]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
OH James! You ssssilly sssavage! I just knew you were the thong type.

Eric

#126093 - 12/30/09 03:50 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: 300winmag]
Jimshaw Offline

The cut offs are mine, the other belonged to my hiking partner.

#126096 - 12/30/09 04:12 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Glad you told us that - I was on my to find a stick to shove in my eye, figuring that was the only way to erase the image of Jim in a thong! grin

Great way to get the concept of ultralight across - as usual, very succinct (even if a picture is supposed to be worth 1,000 words.)

#126108 - 12/30/09 07:21 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: Jimshaw]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Great picture - succinct, just grin enough to cover the subject!

#126119 - 12/30/09 10:10 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: oldranger]
skinewmexico Offline

I was in a position somewhat like you, and the way I got my weight down on a budget was by watching for used gear on forums like this, Whiteblaze, and BPL.

#126123 - 12/30/09 11:38 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: Glenn]
Jimshaw Offline

Glenn
og course I can't use any names, but now you know what they actually do wear under kilts...
eekJim YMMV

#126183 - 01/01/10 11:25 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: moneymonk88]
stormin normin Offline

Loc: east
check out www.appytrails.com very light. very practicle. not flashy. same design i used as a boy scout a long time ago...but greatly improved.

#126186 - 01/02/10 02:46 AM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: moneymonk88]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
My recommendation for a sleeping bag would be an appropriately warm down bag from Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, PhD, or a quilt from NunatakUSA. Don't forget that your sleeping pad is just as important when it comes to both sleeping comfort and staying warm. For additional info take a look at my sleeping system page which is part of my recommended outdoor gear site.

--mark

Edited by verber (01/02/10 02:46 AM)

#126189 - 01/02/10 07:55 AM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: Jimshaw]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Is it me or does JimShaws new avatar look surprisingly similar to this?:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/CMontoya82/911-714735.jpg

BF cool

#126195 - 01/02/10 01:04 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: verber]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks for letting us know about your website. I just gave it a quick look and it is filled with a lot of good info.

I'm looking forward to checking it periodically to see what I can learn.

#126202 - 01/02/10 06:53 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: DJ2]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Don't forget about the do-it yourself pages here and elsewhere. Thru-Hiker, Ray-Jardine and others sell kits that you can use to make lightweight gear at much reduced monetary costs at the cost of you time and labor.

#127208 - 01/23/10 02:32 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: thecook]
Dragon Offline

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Going lightweight is a journey, and an evolution. Among others, I own a Western Mountaineering Megalite, and a Nunatak Arc Alpinist. They are the "creme de la creme".

If budget is an issue, I would recommend first buying a used decent quality bag on one of the many gear forums. With the experience gained from many trips, you could later buy one that you feel is better suited to the areas and seasons you visit. Someone else will want your first bag if it is a good one, and has been taken care of.

At some point in time, you may have a collection that you choose from depending on the anticipated trip needs.

As many as I've now got, I still have desires for some others to add to my collection. I'd like a lighter (than 21 oz.) Nunatak Arc Edge (11 oz.) or Arc AT (8 oz.).

Good luck, and happy hoofing.

#128487 - 02/09/10 04:41 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: moneymonk88]
moneymonk88 Offline

Loc: alabama
thanks for all the advice. i finally settled on a marmot hydrogen 30. found it onsale for $160. it weighs 1 pound 7 ounces. i'm excited about my upcoming trip!

#128746 - 02/13/10 08:53 AM Rethinking ultralight
Prospector Offline

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
OM stated there is an article in here called the "27 lb 7 day gear list" or something like that. I want to read this article but can't find it. Can someone show me the way please?

Edited by Prospector (02/13/10 09:51 AM)

#128749 - 02/13/10 09:47 AM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: OregonMouse]
Prospector Offline

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
Hey OM,
I finally found this post again this morning! YEA!!!!!!! I can't seem to find the "27lb, 7 day gear list" article your speaking of and as you know, it will most likely serve me well to read it. Being new here I'm sure is getting in the way of navigating to this article. Can you help me find it please. Thanks a bunch! Cary

Edited by Prospector (02/13/10 09:49 AM)

#128755 - 02/13/10 10:38 AM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: Prospector]
lori Offline

Not OM, but scroll on down to the bottom of the page, to where it says TLB home. Click on it and then study the left sidebar - the article mentioned should be listed there.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#128756 - 02/13/10 10:40 AM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: Prospector]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Go to the lower left hand corner of the page.

Select the link "TLB home".

It will take you to the home page of this website.

On the left hand side of that page (might have to scroll down) you will find the various gear lists.

#128758 - 02/13/10 11:14 AM Re: Rethinking ultralight [Re: Prospector]
pupuplader Offline

Loc: Lakewood, Co.

#128764 - 02/13/10 12:00 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Alternatively:

Try this link...

or this link..

I also have stuff in my gear list in my signature at the bottom of this post.

And while it's splitting hairs and kind of a ridiculous definition, I'd not call any of those lists "ultralight" - but rather "lightweight" - I'm a "lightweight but comfortable" backpacker.. I'm not really "ultralight".
Browse my pictures

#128772 - 02/13/10 12:33 PM Re: need ultralight gear advice [Re: phat]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
"And while it's splitting hairs and kind of a ridiculous definition, I'd not call any of those lists "ultralight" - but rather "lightweight" - I'm a "lightweight but comfortable" backpacker.. I'm not really "ultralight"."

Me too. My baseweight is in the same general range of what's given in that 27 pound, 7 day list --- I think that list translated to something like a 15 pound 3-season baseweight, sort of the middle of the "light but not ultralight" zone.

For those who care, there is some commonly accepted terminology given on wikipedia about this, with the light/ultralight threshhold at 10 pounds of base weight.

The catch is that the "ultralight" term gets casually used by various people to mean all sorts of things, so if talking to a backpacker who is aware of the definition, I'll use the terminology correctly. But for casual acquaintances, folks who might hike or backpack with me --- they generally don't know nor care, to them I'm an "ultralight" backpacker because my gear is lighter than theirs and I have a good idea of the weights and trade-offs. Certainly not worth annoying people or getting into arguments about ... !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum