Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93235 - 03/26/08 10:00 AM New equipment, help needed!
lionelB Offline

First post here... I am getting myself and my family into backpacking this year. We have 2 kids (12 and 14) and 2 dogs and we will be backpacking in the Southern french alps (betwen 2000m and 3400m). Mostly 1 nighter for week-ends from May to Oct. I have to buy all the overnight gear as we have only been doing day drips up to that point.

I have been doing some online research and was leaning toward the following, I want to keep things light as the trips will involve quite a bit of vertical:

- Pack for me: Osprey Atmos 65
- Pack for my wife: Osprey Atmos 50
- Pack for kids: not sure at this point
- Tent 1: Mountain hardware Skyledge 3 (I am 6'5")
- Tent 2: same as tent 1 or maybe a 2 persons tent
- Sleeping bag for me: Mtn hardware Phantom 45 or 32 (I am a warm sleeper) or Big agnes pitch pine SL
- Sleeping pads: big agnes rem pad or thermarest light (depending on bag choice)
- Sleeping bag for my wife: Mtn hardware Phantom 15 (she is a cold sleeper) or big agnes .

Please let me know if you see anything wrong on the above list.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

#93236 - 03/26/08 10:42 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I have never hiked where you will. But would like to some day.

You have selected some good gear for 3 season hiking in the Rockies.

#93237 - 03/26/08 06:11 PM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Welcome, Lionel! Good choices. What is the price range and where are the dog packs on your list? Your pooches should carry their own.

#93238 - 03/26/08 11:27 PM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: bigfoot2]
lionelB Offline

Quote:
Welcome, Lionel! Good choices. What is the price range and where are the dog packs on your list? Your pooches should carry their own.

Hi, I guess this list will set me back quite a bit as the tents are about $400 each, the bags $200 to $300 each, same for sleeping bags....

On the other end I want to buy something good that I can use for a long time and I would rather avoid buying some low end items and upgrading after 2 or 3 trips!

Another question I have on sleeping bags is that I sleep on my side and I am 6'5" so maybe a mummy bag will not be as confortable as a more rectangular pad.

#93239 - 03/26/08 11:42 PM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Prety good choices with the possible exception if the MH bags. I owned a MH Phantom 32 & ret'd. it unused B/C of poor loft and the half zipper that drove me crazy when I tested it indoors. Others have experienced the same. (I got a much pricier but much better Western Mountaineering Megalite regular and love it.)

Look closely at Marmot bags. Good loft, good quality and decent pricing.

Eric

#93240 - 03/27/08 04:21 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm also a side sleeper, and mummy bags work just fine for me. I get into it and lie on my back, zip it closed, and snug the hood and shoulder adjustments. Then, when I want to roll onto my side, I roll the bag with me, so the hood remains properly oriented. (You don't so much lie in the bag as you wear it, like a jacket.)

In warmer weather, I usually just unzip the bag, fold the hood in so it's out of the way, and throw it over me like a blanket. Then you can roll onto your side like normal.

#93241 - 03/27/08 04:42 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: 300winmag]
lionelB Offline

Quote:
Prety good choices with the possible exception if the MH bags. I owned a MH Phantom 32 & ret'd. it unused B/C of poor loft and the half zipper that drove me crazy when I tested it indoors. Others have experienced the same. (I got a much pricier but much better Western Mountaineering Megalite regular and love it.)

Look closely at Marmot bags. Good loft, good quality and decent pricing.

Eric

Eric, I was sort of concerned about the half zip as well who seems to have mostly downsides. I will look at other options.Marmot has a 40F bad called the Arete that looks OK. For WM I see yours as well as the MityLite (40F no hood, more rectangular) that can be a good option but does not seem to exist in a large or the highlite cheaper than yours and rated 35F. They all seem to get pretty good reviews. I think that a 30F bag like yours could be overkill for a warm sleeper like me.

#93242 - 03/27/08 10:55 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Lionel...

You are one tall dude... are you broad shouldered as well? Your shoulder size may dictate which sleeping bag to get. I had a friend once who was 6'6" and was only comfortable in a hoodless more rectangular shaped bag. You might want to look into quilts before investing.

You are going to be at moderate elevation... do you know what kinds of temperatures and weather conditions you might expect?

MNS

#93243 - 03/27/08 11:25 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: midnightsun03]
lionelB Offline

Quote:
Lionel...

You are one tall dude... are you broad shouldered as well? Your shoulder size may dictate which sleeping bag to get. I had a friend once who was 6'6" and was only comfortable in a hoodless more rectangular shaped bag. You might want to look into quilts before investing.

You are going to be at moderate elevation... do you know what kinds of temperatures and weather conditions you might expect?

MNS

I am going to check REI or some other places next week and get into these bags to see how that feels. I am a bit nervous about the full mummy with hoods. I see that the bags description give the shoulder width. Is there a rule of thumb on what shoulder width to use compare to my actual shoulder width?

As far as temperatures during the summer at night in the southern Alps at 3300m (about 10K feet) temperatures can certainly drop below freezing if the wind helps it.

#93244 - 03/27/08 03:25 PM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Western Mountaineering makes 7 foot length bags. You should also consider a Nunatak quilt that you could have tailor made to your specific body type. Both choices are expensive but will last you a long time. Good quality gear.

#93245 - 03/27/08 03:50 PM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
jaiden Offline

If you don't get a bag with a hood, you may want one of these:
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Down%20Hood.htm

#93246 - 03/28/08 01:00 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: bigfoot2]
lionelB Offline

Quote:
Western Mountaineering makes 7 foot length bags. You should also consider a Nunatak quilt that you could have tailor made to your specific body type. Both choices are expensive but will last you a long time. Good quality gear.

Thanks. I checked the long WM Megalite. It is rated 30F, maybe a bit more that what I wanted. But it seems to be a larger bag that most others and it has a full zipper. So hopefully on warmer nights I would not be too warm (which would be my concern on a 30F bag).

#93247 - 03/28/08 10:17 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“Thanks. I checked the long WM Megalite. It is rated 30F, maybe a bit more that what I wanted. But it seems to be a larger bag that most others and it has a full zipper. So hopefully on warmer nights I would not be too warm (which would be my concern on a 30F bag).”

I have a Megalite and a Caribou MF. The Caribou is the same size but lighter and rated to 35F. It is box-stitched and I love box-stitched over ‘continuous baffles’ because the down doesn’t shift around. And you don’t lose heat through the stitching at the temperatures it’s rated to. And it’s slightly cheaper ($270 vs $330).

In our family, the most expensive gear is--- the bags.

Good luck

-Barry

#93248 - 03/28/08 11:10 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: BarryP]
lionelB Offline

I did not realize that the MF series was also down bags... This complicates the decision making further!

As you have both the Megalite and the Caribou MF when do you decide to use one vs the other.

In fact I am not sure that I understand the difference well between the two constructions.....

Thanks in advance

#93249 - 03/28/08 11:22 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
crackers Offline

Loc: New York / Istanbul
Quote:
Another question I have on sleeping bags is that I sleep on my side and I am 6'5" so maybe a mummy bag will not be as confortable as a more rectangular pad.

I'm 6'5" / 198cm. Getting used to a mummy bag has nothing to do with being tall.

I fit fine in Western Mountaineering / Feathered Friends bags. I own one of each, and I like them both very much. I am a side sleeper as well, and I do fine.

#93250 - 03/28/08 11:28 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: crackers]
lionelB Offline

Quote:

I'm 6'5" / 198cm. Getting used to a mummy bag has nothing to do with being tall.

I fit fine in Western Mountaineering / Feathered Friends bags. I own one of each, and I like them both very much. I am a side sleeper as well, and I do fine.

Hi, as you are exactly my size, I would be interested in which WM bag you own. Thanks.

#93251 - 03/28/08 12:11 PM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
crackers Offline

I have a 6'6" WM Super BigHorn Dryloft. They don't make it anymore, but it's pretty much the same as the Puma. It's a -30 cold weather / big mountain bag.

I've also got a Feathered Friends Swallow. I chose this bag even though it's a bit snug for my shoulders so I could get a bit lighter and a bit more temperature range.

They're both exquisite and expensive bags. The 64" shoulder girth on the WM bag is absolutely required for me in winter conditions, and the FF 60" is a bit on the tight side, but it was an informed conscious decision as mentioned above.

I've been using my Bighorn since '99 or so, and I've slept in it at least 300 nights. I've spent only about 150-200 in my Swift. I couldn't say one was so much better than the other one. They're both way better for me and my uses than run of the mill sleeping bags and they're both extremely well constructed. I anticipate using them for the next ten or more years. As with every human made thing, eventually they'll feel the burden of time, but ...

#93252 - 03/28/08 12:12 PM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
There is a good explanation of the differences on the WM website I think (or maybe it was in their catalog). In a nutshell, the continuous baffles are "tubes" that extend around the circumference of the bag. The down in each tube is free to move in that tube (i.e. you could push all the down to one side of the tube if you wanted to). The box stitched construction looks like a quilt where there are squares stitched in the bag. The down is contained in these squares.

You should also think about the difference between the MF and Extremelite fabrics. In my experience I have found that the MF repels water much better. That's a nice thing for here in the humid wet SE. Oh yeah, and I guess at this point in time I should mention that I own 3 WM bags (Ultralite, Versalite and Caribou), and also that I am 6'-5".

Also, don't be shy about maybe getting something rated lower than the temps you expect to be in. Some people like myself are cold sleepers, and just cause a bag is rated for 30 deg F doesn't mean I will be comfortable in it in those temps. Just another thing to consider.

At any rate, do a search on the forum as there are at least a couple of threads where these types of things are discussed in detail. I remember contributing to some of those discussions, so I know they are there somewhere.

By the way BarryP, you are the first person that has mentioned that they like the box stitched construction over the continuous baffles. I totally agree with you. It's refreshing to hear your opinion with a good basis for it. I have read so much negative junk about the Caribou cause it is box stitched and doesn't have a draft tube, but it functions perfectly fine for the temperatures it was designed for.

#93253 - 03/28/08 12:15 PM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: crackers]
crackers Offline

Just thinking about my "expensive" comment above:

$700/300 = $2.33 a night.
$400/200 = $2 a night.

And I've got lots of amortization ahead!

Other than an now deceased XGK, not a lot of my gear lasts over 200 days...

#93254 - 03/28/08 12:50 PM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: Berserker]
lionelB Offline

Quote:
There is a good explanation of the differences on the WM website I think (or maybe it was in their catalog). In a nutshell, the continuous baffles are "tubes" that extend around the circumference of the bag. The down in each tube is free to move in that tube (i.e. you could push all the down to one side of the tube if you wanted to). The box stitched construction looks like a quilt where there are squares stitched in the bag. The down is contained in these squares.

You should also think about the difference between the MF and Extremelite fabrics. In my experience I have found that the MF repels water much better. That's a nice thing for here in the humid wet SE. Oh yeah, and I guess at this point in time I should mention that I own 3 WM bags (Ultralite, Versalite and Caribou), and also that I am 6'-5".

Also, don't be shy about maybe getting something rated lower than the temps you expect to be in. Some people like myself are cold sleepers, and just cause a bag is rated for 30 deg F doesn't mean I will be comfortable in it in those temps. Just another thing to consider.

At any rate, do a search on the forum as there are at least a couple of threads where these types of things are discussed in detail. I remember contributing to some of those discussions, so I know they are there somewhere.

By the way BarryP, you are the first person that has mentioned that they like the box stitched construction over the continuous baffles. I totally agree with you. It's refreshing to hear your opinion with a good basis for it. I have read so much negative junk about the Caribou cause it is box stitched and doesn't have a draft tube, but it functions perfectly fine for the temperatures it was designed for.

Thanks for the explanation. I could not really find it on the WM site. If the MF fabric repeals water more than the Extremelite, does that mean that this is also less breathable?

I am a very warm sleeper actually. So I want to make sure that I have a bag that can work with temperature up to the high 40F.

#93255 - 03/28/08 01:40 PM Kids pack [Re: lionelB]
speyguy Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Up to this point no one has mentioned anything about a backpack for the kids, so I'll chime in. I have backpacked with my son quite a bit over the years and found that there is quite a void when it comes to kids packs. I just noticed this one yesterday when I was on the MLD site. It's one of the few kids packs I've seen. Another option I might consider if I was in your position would be a Granite Gear Virga in a size "short". My nefew has used one since he was about 6 and it seems to work well for him.

#93256 - 03/28/08 01:52 PM Re: Kids pack [Re: speyguy]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
With kids 12 and 14 years old, any pack recommended for Boy Scouts will work. The generally advice is to get an expandable external frame backpack that will grow with them. Kelty has a whole slew of exterior backpacks for kids that age.

#93257 - 03/31/08 07:57 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“As you have both the Megalite and the Caribou MF when do you decide to use one vs the other.”

Remember, this is just me. You might find another preference. I only take the Megalite when my wife is going with me. We use the one bag--- together. I shift most of the down to her side. She made a 9oz ‘sweetie pie’ that we zip into it. If it’s cold, the down bag is on top of us. If it’s warm, the sweetie pie is on top of us.

If my family is not with me, for 30F-40F weather, I take the POD30. It’s light and warm. For >40F, I take the Caribou.

Before I forget, I find the Extremlight and MF material both breathable (per your question in another post).

-Barry

#93258 - 03/31/08 09:22 AM Re: New equipment, help needed! [Re: lionelB]
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
Both fabrics are quite breathable, and I believe the only difference (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) is that the MF has a higher thread count so it is in essence woven tighter. This is what helps it repel water better. the only reason I mentioned the two fabrics and that there is a difference is because I have read posts and reviews where people have complained about the Extremelite fabric in wet conditions. You can't have everything in one bag, and that is one of the things you give up with the Extremelite series of WM bags. They will get damp in prolonged wet conditions (i.e. in situations where there is heavy condensation such as an all night rain). This is fairly easily resolved by just making sure to keep the bag as dry as possible, and drying it out in the sun when the opportunity presents itself.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 152 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum