So, I recently made my own hammock and tarp. The tarp is cool because I used uncoated ripstop, and coated it with silicon to make my own silnylon. I got that idea from Hammockforums.

I don't think I like how the corner tie outs turned out. I did the ridgeline tieouts differently, and like them better. The total figures are the tarp is 8' X 10' and weighs 26 oz. I was expecting 16 oz, so I guess it wasn't as light as I thought. But, I probably spent less than $15 for the whole thing.

For the hammock, I just made a gathered end hammock with material that is far too heavy. I plan to make a second one with 1.1 oz ripstop. The bug netting is just an army cot bug net with two holes in it for the suspension. It doubles as just a bug net for when I only want to use the tarp with no hammock. The tarp has side tie outs like Jardine does on his tarps. The inside of the tie outs makes a nice place to tie the four corners of the bug net. I also made the aluminum suspension tightener. I got that idea from Hammockforums as well. No original ideas here.