Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123307 - 11/02/09 11:20 PM Mailbox Stove
nsgrossman Offline

Loc: reading pa
New to the forum, my first post!

I live in PA so our winters aren't EXTREME but they're cold enough to not be so fun if you don't have much experience in the season. My first winter experience was a few years ago, temp w/ wind chill was 2 degrees... we did not have a good time.

So this year I'm going to try again and decided a stove was a good idea. I've seen the idea on a few sites, its cheap and light so I figured why not. I haven't field tested it yet but home tests feel promising. Total cost was around $25, Tell me what ya think!

http://nate.bstack.net/Stove

Peace
-Nate

#123318 - 11/03/09 09:59 AM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: nsgrossman]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Nate, are you using this stove to heat your tent?

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#123319 - 11/03/09 10:42 AM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: jasonklass]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

It should work well for a smaller tent, assuming you get an appropriate stove boot and pipe into it.
Browse my pictures

#123322 - 11/03/09 11:53 AM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: jasonklass]
nsgrossman Offline

Originally Posted By jasonklass
Nate, are you using this stove to heat your tent?

Planning on it. Not sure exactly what tent yet though. In summer I typically hammock camp, but I've heard mixed reviews about doing that in the winter. If my next winter trip goes well I might consider making a hammock tent and putting it in there.

Last week I ordered a military pup tent off ebay which should hopefully be here shortly. My plan for now is to use a tarp setup to make a sort of entrance way / cook area to my pup tent and set the stove in there. That way I should get some heat reflected into the tent, but there's still air movement should anything on the stove not work properly.

We'll see how it goes, I'm ALWAYS up for suggestions!!

Edited by nsgrossman (11/03/09 11:55 AM)

#123323 - 11/03/09 11:59 AM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: nsgrossman]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I would suggest a flat area on top to heat water in a pot.

#123324 - 11/03/09 12:12 PM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: finallyME]
nsgrossman Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
I would suggest a flat area on top to heat water in a pot.

Was just considering that myself. On another forum I saw someone with a cylindrical stove put some screws through the top that made a flat surface for his pot, might try that if all works well.

On a side note, should I be worried about toxic fumes? I burned the stove quite a few times in open air to burn off any paint, but is there a problem with burning in whatever type of metal cheap mailboxes are made of?

Edited by nsgrossman (11/03/09 12:13 PM)

#123328 - 11/03/09 03:37 PM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: nsgrossman]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
The flat top would be easy..Just make some feet that would attach to the rounded top and then turn it up-side down...sabre11004

P.S. You are obviously not concerned with the added weight so I think that may work... goodjob

#123343 - 11/03/09 08:10 PM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: sabre11004]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Be Carefull burning this in a confined area. Often mailboxes are Galvanized steel. I know dont know what temp it will reach, but when welding or heating galvanized it gives off a acidic gas that is not good for you, I dont remember the name of the gas it was years ago when i did hood and duct instalation.

#123355 - 11/03/09 11:49 PM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: Kent W]
nsgrossman Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W
Be Carefull burning this in a confined area. Often mailboxes are Galvanized steel. I know dont know what temp it will reach, but when welding or heating galvanized it gives off a acidic gas that is not good for you, I dont remember the name of the gas it was years ago when i did hood and duct instalation.

Thanks for the concern, that's one issue I've been contemplating since I started.

#123357 - 11/04/09 12:02 AM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: nsgrossman]
phat Offline

Galvanized metal will oxidize on the first heat up and change color. the gas it throws is toxic. Do that outside and don't breathe it.

After you burn up the galvanized coating it's gonna be fine.

I've done the same the little stove I made for my shangri-la hot tent rig
Browse my pictures

#123358 - 11/04/09 12:16 AM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: phat]
nsgrossman Offline

Originally Posted By phat

Galvanized metal will oxidize on the first heat up and change color. the gas it throws is toxic. Do that outside and don't breathe it.

After you burn up the galvanized coating it's gonna be fine.

I've done the same the little stove I made for my shangri-la hot tent rig

Glad to hear from someone who's done this before!

I burned it a few times now just for heat test, I think before I take it out for real I'll build up a good fire at home and throw it on, just to make sure I've burned it all off.

#123389 - 11/04/09 08:31 PM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: phat]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Thanks Phat, I kindathought that, but I wasnt sure enough of memory to print it! The Mind is the second thing to go! I forgot what the first thing was!

#123465 - 11/06/09 11:18 PM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: jasonklass]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
haha nice jason! i follow your blog! Gear Talk with Jason Klass!

#123477 - 11/07/09 10:08 AM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: Boomer]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.

I made a mailbox shaped stove before I discovered vertical and baffle type stoves.I made up 10 of these stoves and I still have them never used them because I had the new idea. You will notice that I use a spark arrestor. To get any cooking done without a baffle, I cut a hole in the top to put my kettle in the fire. I like this stove because I could lay long pieces of fire wood on the ash tray and feed it as it burned. I have to cut my wood into 5" lengths for the vertical stove. The 3" tapered chimney ( 3-18" sections) as shown here is the centerpole for what ever shelter I use. The metal stove jack rests on the flange seen on the spark arrestor picture.

Edited by chimpac (11/07/09 10:20 AM)

#123499 - 11/08/09 12:53 AM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: chimpac]
nsgrossman Offline

chipmac,

that's a pretty cool looking design. Why the extended bottom to your chimney pipe if you don't mind me asking. I've notice a few people doing this but didn't really understand why you'd prefer that over say sheet metal removable legs. Also, do you have any trouble with smoke, either from the door (you mentioned feeding wood as it burned) or from the flap for your kettle.

Thanks!
-Nate

#123504 - 11/08/09 09:49 AM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: nsgrossman]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
Originally Posted By nsgrossman
chipmac,

that's a pretty cool looking design. Why the extended bottom to your chimney pipe if you don't mind me asking. I've notice a few people doing this but didn't really understand why you'd prefer that over say sheet metal removable legs. Also, do you have any trouble with smoke, either from the door (you mentioned feeding wood as it burned) or from the flap for your kettle.

Thanks!
-Nate

The chimney has the weight of the tarp on it, so it has to rest on the ground.The tapered sections of the tapered chimney are joined with tapered 4" sleeves that get tight when they are slid over the joint. The chimney is more secure than a loose chimney siting in a stove with a stove jack that can jerk up and down in the wind. When a stove has 4 legs they have to be supported in melting snow. I now use a bottom base for the chimney that has a notch to fit a long piece of fire wood to bridge melted snow or be handles to adjust postion of a hot stove.
The fire has to be watched, if the wood out side is not pushed in it will start to burn at the door way. I cannot remember smoking thru the kettle hole, when the kettle is not there the flap is shut. The chimney has good draw as it is oversized for the stove. Check my other posts to see my tarp shelter.

See also, http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53145

Any questions are welcome
Thankyou, Arlen

Edited by chimpac (11/08/09 03:37 PM)

#123523 - 11/08/09 04:28 PM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: nsgrossman]
nsgrossman Offline

Added some pictures of my first test run (although its 60 degrees outside so I couldn't get much of a feel for it) I registered about a 10 degree increase, after only about 40 minutes of burning (not much wood either).

You can check out the pictures at:
http://nate.bstack.net/Stove

I did notice some smoke coming through the gap in the door, I attempted to fix this by propping up the chimney end, but no luck. Any suggestions?

Peace
-Nate

#123550 - 11/08/09 11:33 PM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: nsgrossman]
phat Offline

I noticed you have your flue exiting the stove at the back of the stove, partway up, through a pipe bend - if you ask me this is probably not what you want. My suspicion is you want that flue to come out right at the top of the stove, otherwise, with hot air rising, you will have a pile of smoky hot air sitting *above* the flue exit, and ready to leak out your door.

My little mini-stove has the exit at the top - and I don't get smoke leakage out the door.

Browse my pictures

#123552 - 11/08/09 11:54 PM Re: Mailbox Stove [Re: phat]
nsgrossman Offline

Originally Posted By phat
I noticed you have your flue exiting the stove at the back of the stove, partway up, through a pipe bend - if you ask me this is probably not what you want. My suspicion is you want that flue to come out right at the top of the stove, otherwise, with hot air rising, you will have a pile of smoky hot air sitting *above* the flue exit, and ready to leak out your door.

My little mini-stove has the exit at the top - and I don't get smoke leakage out the door.

That's an excellent point, I put the flu in the back because I figured it would be easier to fit a pipe to. I put it as close to the top as I could without interfering with the crimping that holds it on; but now that I think about that means the back needs to be an inch or so higher then the front to keep smoke from going out the front. Thanks for the input!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum