Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

BCG Winter Clearance

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
BackcountryGear.com
backcountry gear

---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Stay Healthy--Eat Well

MARY JANES FARM ORGANIC MEALS

Mary Janes Farm Organic Backcountry Meals

NATURAL HIGH GOURMET MEALS

Natural High

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Lite Food Talk
Jump to new posts Re: anyone ever had bannock backpacking meals? by CamperMom @ Today at 01:11 PM

Reading about their offerings at Amazon, I'm a bit concerned that their descriptions for any foods may be inaccurate. There are just too many typos or spelling errors. What else are they getting wrong? CM
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Do you backpack in grizzly country? by OregonMouse @ Today at 02:02 AM

All good ideas. When I was in the Winds, I did a lot of singing when going around blind corners or through dense woods when hiking up the Green River valley, where griz have been spotted and occasionally raid the campground below the lakes. My sin
Backcountry BOOKS
Jump to new posts Re: Review: Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains by wandering_daisy @ Today at 12:09 AM

Sorry about that. Amazon had been notified and should not sell the old books. Not that the old book is not still useful, but the new one has updated information and routes. See if you can return the book to Amazon. If not, send me a PM with your
Lite Philosophies & Practices
Jump to new posts Re: Elephant Foot bag? by JustWalking @ Yesterday at 10:36 PM

Nunatak Gear sells a half bag - they've been selling it for a long time now. The Akula half bag I think it's called.
The Daily Chuckle
Jump to new posts Re: "Night Hiking To Mars" Hiking Humor Blog! by Jester @ Yesterday at 03:57 PM

Wait. Isn't everyone already carrying a chicken?
Hiking with Animals (non-human)
Jump to new posts Disappointed in search for pup so far by hikerduane @ Yesterday at 02:09 PM

Been in contact with breeders or folks with pups to give away or for sale. After a couple email exchanges, no further response from them. Rescue groups are hours away, so I guess will have to check in with local shelters etc. Looking for a lab or
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Zpacks Solplex worth the exhange rate for Canadian by hikerduane @ Yesterday at 01:55 PM

I've had a Solplex a couple years now. Total weight with poles, stakes is 19.5 oz. Sorry, you'll have to convert to grams. Holding up well. Like other ul gear, not gonna cut it to pass on to grandkids. No punctures yet. Much less condensation t
Trip Plans, Reports & Inquiries
Jump to new posts Re: Suggestions Please 70mile, loop, KY,TN,NC by toddfw2003 @ Yesterday at 12:14 AM

Sheltowee Trace. That would be a point to point. I love the Red river Gorge. It inst too bad during the weekdays
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Costco Black Diamond quilt back in stock by wgiles @ 03/21/17 07:16 PM

Mine weigh right at one pound. I sewed a drawstring channel and some laces to one in order to form footbox. That might have added an ounce to the weight, but now I can use it as a lightweight quilt.
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Container to Hold Imusa Mug by CamperMom @ 03/21/17 10:54 AM

No, nothing saved on this. I just picked up some of the high-temp sealant from the auto/RV section of a local variety store after reading about it somewhere, scuffed up the area a bit, and smeared on some of the goop where I thought my fingers and m
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: camp chair sacrilege by CamperMom @ 03/20/17 08:58 PM

If you sleep in a hammock, consider also using it as a chair and lounger...
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Zion Backcountry by toddfw2003 @ 03/20/17 06:19 PM

the Barracks you dont need a permit. its outside of the park and on BLM land
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Well ventilated jackets for kids? by BZH @ 03/20/17 01:59 PM

Yeah, I think people tend to be more price conscious when buying kids clothes because of the short time period they actually fit them. As a result, it can be hard to find higher end features. I personally would look for a poncho. You could get the
Lite Philosophies & Practices
Jump to new posts outdoor access for those with a disability by balzaccom @ 03/20/17 12:29 PM

We just posted this article from one of our readers: https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home/our-blog/outdooraccessforthosewithadisability Pretty cool stuff.
General Discussion
True enough. Here, as in Washington, you can buy it but you can't legally use it anywhere, but in the privacy of your property/home.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Tree crews by balzaccom @ 03/19/17 11:51 PM

Paull Bunyan is alive and well--at least that's what it looks like up in the Sierra. You're read about the massive tree damage in the Sierra, a combination of many years of drought weakening the trees, and then a major infestation of Pine Bark beetl
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Trailshot filter by Glenn Roberts @ 03/19/17 04:34 PM

Has anyone used the MSR Trailshot filter yet? I've got one ("Oooohhh, shiny....") and have used it once, on a day hike. The jury is still out; I need more experience before I form an opinion. It's fairly light: 5 ounces; that's 2 whole ou
Backcountry Beginners
Jump to new posts Re: Weight and caloric intake for 14 year old by aimless @ 03/17/17 02:37 PM

As noted already, food requirements are fairly individual and the best person to consult is yourself. If forced to guess, I'd say, for your size and weight, planning on a 3000 calorie/day diet ought to be sufficient, depending on your daily miles. I
Almost Over the Hill
Jump to new posts Re: bucking the consumer tide- back packs. by PerryMK @ 03/17/17 06:32 AM

I till have an old Camp Trails Adjustable II external frame that weighs in a 3 lbs 14oz. I see these on ebay every so often and even purchased one for parts. I also have a new Vargo Ti Arc titanium external frame that weighs just under 3 lbs. Buil
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Trailshot filter
by Glenn Roberts
03/19/17 04:34 PM
Solo tent selection guidance
by OhioPaddler
03/12/17 02:32 PM
Zpacks Solplex worth the exhange rate for Canadian
by JohnnyB
03/10/17 10:34 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Do you backpack in grizzly country?
by HPD
03/21/17 10:18 AM
Tree crews
by balzaccom
03/19/17 11:51 PM
Well ventilated jackets for kids?
by Steadman
03/14/17 06:17 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Does this design need a cat cut ridgeline?
by
03/14/17 08:14 PM
Need to fix a screw up
by CamperMom
03/14/17 06:08 PM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
gydvhj, tkb, V.K., Walt, crypins
12230 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
HOME
Backpacking.net
Family Hiking
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Outdoor Gear Daily Deals
Outlets, Sales, Bargains

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com