Quote:

How bad would it have been if something terrible would have happened on your trip, where the PLB would have been a life saver, but it was sitting home in your gear closet? The weight of the unit (specifically the battery) is the biggest concern for the engineers at ACR because they know that if it's too heavy, many people won't justify taking it. This is always brought up in our sales meetings. They are constantly working on solutions that will lighten it up and make it super ease to use. Of course it has to withstand all the outdoors can throw at it which requires a battery that works in any temp and under severe conditions. That is why it weighs what it does.

There have been several rescues attributed to the PLB this year when cell phone reception was good and the road was fairly close. That is the beauty of having a PLB over all the other emergency options available. When it is turned on, the folks who respond to the signal know that someone's life is on the line. That is the exact reason why a substantial punishment awaits those who misuse it.

I guess that's my conundrum jason - bear in mind, for the record, the ACR will probably be going with me on *most* of my trips, since most of them I might see one other living soul in 3-4 days. My thought is where do you draw the line on the "self rescue" point when at any point in time on that trail I am at worst, 5 km from cell phone coverage, and 15 km from a road? It's actually not that clear, Let's try a scenario which might be informative for everyone:

First the Scenario:

I have broken my ankle and can't walk much more than a hop and hobble and am in a lot of pain. I can set up my tarp as a nice shelter, get into my sleeping bag to stay warm. I have a litre and a half of water, and there is water within crawling distance. I have a days worth of food I can stretch to three. I have 6 percocets, 6 Aleve, and 6 ibuprophen with me that could be used to take the edge off. (and everything else that's in this gear list while we're at it), I have a cell phone, and
I have an ACR microfix 406 PLB.

Now the locations, Both in Jasper National Park - google the locations to find them:

A) I am on Skyline trail in the snowbowl, let's say anywhere in the bowl, after the campground hiking towards big shovel pass. Nobody is with me but 10 hikers or more a day pass through here, and I know 3 to 4 were leaving the snowbowl campground that morning behind me and will be heading my way probably within the hour. Cell phone coverage is 5 km away in either the east or west direction, Ranger station is 15 km away at Maligne Lake trailhead which is the nearest exit.

B) I am at Southesk lake on the side loop from the South Boundary trail. I suspect it sees two hikers a year, and maybe a ranger twice on horseback. I'm pretty much 3 to 4 days hard hiking from anywhere where there is anyone else, unless by some miracle someone chances by. Cell phone coverage is nonexistant anywhere.

So in each place, what to do:

0) Hack up my trekking poles to splint it, and limp/crawl/suck it up to head for civilization
myself? (or otherwise do something similarly desperate)

1) Flag down a passing hiker for help, ask them to head for one of the nearest passes and contact the warden station to get me out on a horse or otherwise? - give them my cell phone if they don't have one.

2) press the PLB button on my ACR unit.

Personally, I'd definately press the button right away at Southesk Lake. I know I would, I know
I'd be screwed without it, and I'd stand in front of a judge and confidently say so. Without the PLB I would probably consider (and don't ever do this kids it's very illegal) just waiting for favorable wind and getting a very large "signal fire" going - the kind that burns a few acres and is visible from fire towers and and gets them to fly over to look.

I'm not sure I'd press the button on Skyline - I know darn good and well I'd hurt like heck, and
I'd want to push the button and have the big birdie come get me. But should I? Or should I pop my pills, and wait for what I know is coming down the trail? I think the location definately
matters for this doesn't it?

(and the reason I chose it is I think a busted ankle is a heck of a lot more likely to happen to me
than internal bleeding that doesn't just kill me outright or within a short enough time that it doesn't matter)