Quote:
what is the best way to train a dog to heal on a trail.
My second topic is camping with your dog, do you set up a shelter for the mutt, tie him up so he does not run around all night, or just let him find his own spot to crash? My third and I swear my last topic is What do you think is a great breed for a backpacking dog?

Hi my name is hootyhoo and I'm a dogaholic.

I go to places where there are few people and let my dog hike his own hike. Its his time, too. He likes to explore and I like to watch him do it. I control him when we are near a road or people. There are times that a leash is used, but he likes it less and less.
I use an oragami ul - no floor. I use a light ripstop bivy. This combo works well for us. He can come and go at night. There is no floor for him to muddy up. the bivy protects my bag from his wetness. He sleeps against me sometimes, outside of the shelter sometimes, in a corner of the shelter other times- and I am not sure why he sleeps in different places. He lives outside at home so he is used to the elements. I made him a sleeping bag that he gear tested rather brutally - it did not survive. I cut a pad in half for him, but he never lays on it.
I like golden retrievers. Spell check. Good in water. Thick coat for insulation and tick burrows (that is a drawback). Good disoposition. Accepted by most humans as a friendly dog. Not too big and not too small for outdoors. Athletic and agile.
He has food/water bowl that he carries along with his food. If we are on a dry trail or headed to a dry campsite then I put water in his pack and he carries that also.
I am not sure how to properly train dogs - but make decisions and stick to them. If you want to share human food then do it - if not then never do it. Things like that should be adhered to at all times in my opinion. Once they know you will there is no going back. In the morning I cook pancakes for two. I wait until all the pancakes are cooked before he or I eat any. That way he knows that we cook first then eat together. I have a friend that can hardly get his food cooked because his dog is in his face the whole time - he gives food to the dog while he is still cooking. My dog loves mac and cheese with tuna in it. Ramen noodles are another favorite (no seasoning). He has his dog food, but I like to share with him.

I love hiking with a dog. I am on my third Golden. But I love all breeds.