I think it's really hard to explain or understand how to set up a tarp without actually going out and doing it.

All tarps are not created equal. Some are specially shaped and have pockets and/or velcro to accept a pole. Others are just rectangular hunks of fabric with grommets or webbing loops. Some designs lend themselves to hiking pole use much better than others.

Of all the tarps I have, the tepee with the square base is the easiest. Four stakes in the corners, insert pole.....viola, a shelter. It's very forgiving. Whereas my 8'x10' Siltarp can be real easy or a real PITA depending on which configuration I choose. Uneven ground makes a good pitch even harder.

Kelty Triptease cord seems to be popular here.

With any tarp I suggest large, robust stakes. No needles or titanium pins. Eastons are good, or Groundhogs. Tarps usually need a much better anchor than a tent.

The Hennessey fly IMO does not make a good ground tarp. It's designed for a hammock. Sure it will work but I would not want to depend on one unless the rain is perfectly vertical.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.