Quote:
The day you see someone lighting a cat stove on an insurance commercial-- you will know its over. It will be like Disney world out there. So to those people that support companies like BPL, thanks alot. When it gets overcrowded and popular you can thank yourselves.

I dunno, speaking as someone who spends time around banff/kaninaskis - yes, the close stuff is "disney world" overrun with tourons. - but to use an example from just this weekend in Kaninaskis... Car camping, mobbed. 8 km in at forks (flat all the way) about 4 sites in use out of 15 on saturday. A few people there. After forks (12 clicks more, with some nice serious elevation gain..) and up to Turbine Canyon.. Not a soul around... nobody - silence, mountains, wind, and glaciers...

I'm reminded of the grandma gatewood quote seen on someones sig here. "Most people are pantywaists" - Yes! they are. and no amout of marketing is going to change that. If anything marketing curries to peoples innate slacker rather than encouraging them to get off their tushes.

As long as mainstream gear marketing is balanced against the marketing of Coca Cola, Fast Food, and Video Games, all you'll need is a little elevation gain or distance..
Browse my pictures