I dunno about an apology being necessary mugs. lots of times I feel this way about lots of things in the outdoors. I've seen your sentiment reflected by experienced fly fishers and hunters alike.. I share much of it. Much of my energy in the outdoors is spent getting away from the herd.

OTOH, I do believe, like it or not, that in order for us to be able to continue to do what we do, I think the masses need to be exposed to it. Yes, it sucks because there are more idiots out there, yes it sucks because the corporate whores will crank out gear in volume and make it tough for the cottage industries. but unfortunately I see no other way.

I personally think that it's a necessary evil in our democratic world. IMO, UL is about making gear work *practically* in the field, as opposed to in the showroom - Mass market (heavy) gear catches backpackers the same way fishing gear is designed to catch fishermen rather than fish. (No fish ever bought a 800 dollar flyrod). If heavy gear makes backpacking more like car camping, frankly, people find the trails uncomfortable and tiresome, and end up, well, car camping with sexy gear. And here's the problem. If it's only a small group of us devoted to actually getting away from the trailheads, more and more our voices will not be heard. The fact is democracy gets you what you deserve, not what's right. - so if we educate the masses to stay away, with heavy garbage for gear and an attitude that we don't want them (and I know, lots of the time *I don't want them around me*) the fact is we're setting ourselves up for losing a lot of the places we like to go. Nobody will speak for them. nobody will act to protect them and maintain them. Dontcha think it would be a lot easier for forestry companies, parks services, etc. to simply close the backcountry to hikers and keep the masses in the car camps? Why bother getting different (lighter) bear technology certified for an elite few if everyone carries heavy gear? Hunters have the same problem. if you love the sport, you frankly, have to keep people interested in it, and keep it sustainable with more people involved.

As for keeping the cottage industries alive? lots of word of mouth works for that. and I hate to say it -
*seeing you on the trail* - yes, that means getting your butt into the sites with the rest of the herd. I don't think I say in a backcountry campsite these days without someone coming over and taking an amazing interest in my gear, particularly the stuff I make or adapt myself, or order off the net. Yes this can be onerous, and sometimes, if I'm tired it's like "oh boy here it goes again", but nothing is a better advertisement for a good rig, than seeing you, comfortable and well kitted out, on the sort of gear we use, in camp next to them, and if you are approchable, people will ask, and you can brag a little. Heck, I do, and it (for me) makes staying around a few other people worthwhile. I'd bet (and know in at least a couple cases) that I've sold a number of people on stuff I use, after they see me with it, and they're getting stuff off the net from the little guys or making it themselves instead of buying whatever bill of goods MEC/REI sells them.. I think there's enough room in the market for both.

In the end I think that while a lot of us do this (myself included) to quest for solitude, we owe it to the sport to spend at least some of our time out in not-so-solitude showing others the way, and yes this probably means the sport will change.. Ces't la vie. We should participate in that change or it will not be kept anything like pure. Unfortunately the only cure for packs of boneheads is either euthanasia or education, and in our society only the latter will happen, and it will either happen as provided by corpate marketing types, or clueful caring people. You pick. Me, I suck it up and sacrifice some solutide to be a little bit of the latter, knowing the alternative is probably worse.
Browse my pictures