Jim,

The Australian Heelers I've known out here have had sharp annoying barks. I've read that this is a trait also. Either way consider yourself lucky to have a quiet one. I believe that dingoes were partly domesticated wolves from India and were traded to the aboriginies thousands of years ago and are not native to Australia. . They were of value to them in guarding their camps and serving as scouts. The dingoes became extremely loyal to their human friends - I have been told that this accounts for the same trait in most Aussie Cattle Dogs.

Just tonight I was talking to my neighbor when one of his 2 blue heelers was kicked in the head by his rodeo horse. The little fellow got kicked back and tumbled over and just came right back to mess with the horse by nipping at his hooves. They have a super tough skull that gives them better odds of surviving the kicks from angry cattle. They are usually quick to drop down low on their front paws and duck under the cattle kicks. I've seen quite a few of them with only 3 legs helping with cattle. They had most likely lost a leg getting trampled in the middle of a herd. They are so tough that they keep going on 3 legs doing the herding work that they love.