That was the only map I could find, too.

Keep in mind, I overkill map preparation and compass use. I'll try to present it in a way that's easy enough to follow. This might take a couple weeks. Most people follow trails without using a compass, so if you aren't interested, let me know. I've never seen anyone but me take out a compass on the trail. I only use a compass myself when I feel like practicing compass navigation.

While you are waiting for your map, you can learn how to prepare a map so you can do it quickly when you get it.

First, let's talk about compasses. If all you are looking for is to make sure you don't go south instead of north, then a button compass is fine. The next step up is an inexpensive compass with the degrees marked on the outer ring. These can often take a long time for the needle to settle down. The next step up has a rectangular base plate with some measurements on the side. To determine your magnetic heading, you have to face the direction of the trail and rotate a dial so the north side of the needle is under a north arrow.

An inexpensive Brunton compass will work. You can usually find them under 10 dollars in the box stores.

The next step is a compass with a rotating dial. This eliminates most sighting errors because you don't have to remember to put the north part of the needle over the north arrow.

All of these compasses have sighting errors. Even if the compass is accurate, most people will have an error of 5 to 10 degrees with this type of compass.

A compass without some sort of rectangular baseplate is almost useless for planning a hike, so I recommend you at least get that.

The best compasses are lensatic compasses or mirror compasses. I'm only familiar with the lensatic compasses. The Cammenga 27 is a military compass and will last a lifetime with reasonable care. It uses some sort of magnetic dampening for the dial. It will work even if not completely level. You can get them from Amazon for $39.99. This is the only type compass of the ones I've mentioned that is suitable for triangulation from distant points. You can get Chinese imitations for about $10 to $15. These are lower quality and eventually the dial will start to stick.

The lensatic compasses are great for people who wear glasses. The lens will compensate for eye problems depending on where you put your eye relative to the lens.

Since you mentioned you don't want to spend too much money on a compass, I'd recommend something with a rectangular baseplate. I'll be using a Brunton type 7 compass for the examples. You should be able to get a similar compass for around $10.

Let me know when you get a compass, and then I can go to the next post.

Oh, one last thing. Make sure your belt buckle doesn't affect the compass. Same thing with the cell phone and anything else you carry in your pockets.

Edited by Gershon (08/23/14 06:40 AM)