Originally Posted By Franco
http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/atmospheric/question566.htm
BTW, there are plenty of trees all over the world yet it isn't by chance the the hammock originated in countries with hot humid nights.
Try this : the next windy day , lay down on the ground for 5 minutes or so then lay across two chairs for the same time .
Is it colder on the ground or 2 feet up ?
(if you have an anemometer with wind chill display, measure the temperature at ground level and 2 feet up)

Again if a hammock is more comfortable for you the difference in tot weight or cost or whatever is irrelevant.

All the mis-use of science in the world does nothing to refute the fact that the pad works the same in the hammock. It is not colder than the ground. The pad blocks the wind. A wide one totally blocks, a narrow ground pad requires assistance.

You can go back to talking about things you actually use any time, and stop embarrassing yourself in front of the hammock users. We use the stuff. You just want to - what? tell people they don't work so you can sell more tarp tents? Wikipedia articles on wind chill do nothing to prove your "point."

Go over to hammock forums for a while and watch all the countless ways to be warm in a hammock fill your screen. Watch Shug on Youtube for a while at subzero temperatures. It may not make sense to you, but there are those who choose destinations based on whether or not you can hammock there. I'm not one of them - I use tents when I have to - but I will not let you go unchallenged when you're pretending something that works does not work, because even if there are extra steps to it pads will work well enough to get started in hammocking, until one is able to buy in and invest in the quilts. Which, IMO, make it WARMER for me in a hammock than I have ever been on the ground.

Hundreds of hammock users in all climates are there, on the internet, rolling their eyes at this sort of claim you're making. Sure, they originated in warmer climates. Are you going to stop using nylon for tents because the Incans didn't use it? Why expect hammock users to pretend that they only get to camp in warm climates because the original hammocks came from the jungle?

I have, for your information, hammock camped successfully all night in a gusty and windy hillside without a shred of chill. There is this thing called a TARP that made it possible. It also helped us boil water - since my friend the tent user could not keep her Jetboil lit in the wind, she came in and joined me, and successfully boiled her water under my tarp while I used my puny alcohol stove to do the same. The wind was bending trees and pulled her solo tent loose. I slept really, really well. All my gear was on the ground under me. It was all there the next morning....

Hammock camping involves a steeper learning curve, but it's not what you think it is.

http://hikeandbackpack.com