So far I think Daisy's halter top and phats bow drill take the top awards. grin

I guess maybe I should have stated this earlier but its been fun reading all the posts. I was really trying to say that we go camping with so much modern high technology that we replace a lot of what used to be "skill based" with hardware. I was suggesting leaving out the hardware and practicing the skill. phat left out his matches and made a fire drill from memory. This IS EXACTLY the kind of thing I was writing about - learning the skills to do without the gear - I meant hardware more than sleeping bag or coat. shocked

This isn't the place for comparative pack lists, lord knows we've had enough pack lists, and you knnow they are all tailored to the user and where that user goes to camp.
BUT
the difference in what experienced users will carry into the same environment is interesting. I probably carry fewer individual items of hardware than most. I am not really a high tech "geared up" camper. Most of my gear is 20 years old, bomb proof and in perfect like new condition after years of use. I NEVER worry about a coat blowing out because I use my clothing as hardware. My clothes were mostly chosen for high altitude mountaineering use where what you wear is all there is between you and bad things.

I NEVER want to be pinned down by weather. Part of my plannng and attitude is based on being able to move towards my goal in ANY WEATHER. This is self rescue oriented. Others will be content to dig in and want camp comfort. Climbers basically never get any comfort because they ARE the original and ultimate ULers. They deal with it to achieve their goals.

Some peoples goals is to fly a kite and sun tan [while camping]and thats great, but they will be going someplace "nicer". So anyway this attitude has to be seriously considered. Just to illustrate this - Lori will not be carrying a 12 pound rope and a 25 pound rack of protection along with her other camping gear. She will suffer less than the climber, and she will achieve her goals and so will the climber. She may wonder why the climber chose to do something so difficult and the climber may wonder why she bothers to camp to just hang out and have fun... grin

Lori,
I have a problem reconciling the idea that a 24 or 30 pound is UL. OK we talk about our packs pre food and stuff, but the reality is, you are going to be carrying a 30 pound plus pack. So thats not UL to my way of thinking, regardless of the reason. So you will have a heavy pack, apparently also a pretty large amount of your body mass as a smaller person? I know your pack would be even heavier with other gear, but somehow the term UL being applied to a fully packed pack over 20 pounds sounds like a misnomer. (Lori I'm not trying to take anything out of context here, just curious).

I'm just saying that if theres over 20 pounds on your back, you are not UL, you are now midweight with some light modern gear.

Jim grin