Perry:

Rick D mentioned "ginkgo as an AMS preventive" and you were reluctant because their testimonials are tied to their sales pitch, such as this one:

Ginkgo Biloba helps prevent altitude sickness

In the above pitch, the author mentions a study "with 40 college students on Pikes Peak (where) half the subjects took ginkgo for five days before a quick auto trip up the mountain." That sounds less like a controlled scientific study than it does the inane plot of a Gidget sequel; I can see why you'd be hesitant to bite on this one.

Years ago,I had a horrible bout of altitude sickness when we flew in from Miami to do Belford/Oxford/Missouri Mtn. (three 14ers) on our 3rd day in Colorado.

On subsequent trips I kept seeing these 'brand-name' packets of pills in mountain-town drug stores for preventing altitude sickness and used those (with great success) until I realized that their primary ingredient was ginkgo biloba, so I just took gb starting a week before headed from Miami to the mountains. I still recommend and provide lowland visitors with gb when they come and want to go hiking or stay at my friend's cabin at 10,800' near Fairplay.

And since ginkgo is safe and can't hurt, Perry, maybe you should consider adding it to the regime before your trip.

And, of course, you could do what the natives do and chew you some cocoa leaves when you get down there...

... probably the best natural remedy.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)