Originally Posted By OregonMouse
...most of my backpacking is near timberline where no fires are allowed, and in August and September when campfires are generally banned in the Pacific NW
Those are the two reasons that a Ti-Tri is the only wood stove I can think of that makes sense for me.

First, if I'm at "mixed" elevations (above and below the "line" where fires are permitted), then what better stove to have? A Caldera Cone is a first class hexamine (e.g. ESBIT) or alcohol stove. I could easily carry a Caldera Cone and just run it on alcohol the whole time. But, at those elevations where I can have a wood fire, I can burn wood for very little additional weight penalty.

Fire bans are even more frequent here in So. Cal. than in the Pac NW. Here again though I'm buying a first class hexamine or alcohol stove that will fully stand on its own as such. And when and where wood fires are permitted that first class hexamine/alcohol stove will burn wood just as well.

Don't look at it as a wood stove that will burn alcohol/hexamine. Look at it as a top alcohol/hexamine set up that can burn wood.

HJ