I have the Oregon, Washington and Wyoming software packages. I've basically just used them to print out maps of where I'm going; I don't do any fancy tracking. Like w_d, I don't care about upgrades and gizmos! For me, the main benefit is that I don't have to carry 3-4 big maps when my trip is located in an area that needs a small area from each of several maps. For some reason (perhaps Murphy?), this used to happen quite frequently before I bought the software, and the hassle of reassembling cut-up maps (to save bulk, more than weight) is considerable. For Oregon and Washington, I've already saved the purchase price (bought on sale or with coupons) in not having to buy the paper maps.

I just hope the software will transfer to future computers, or I'll be stuck--depending on which gives out first, my hiking legs or my computer!

The Google shopping feature reveals that there are still lots of TOPO! state software packages out there, some at attractive prices. I wouldn't wait too long, though!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/27/12 04:21 PM)