I started backpacking in the Sierra in the 1940's with my parents. My youthful exposure to the outdoors definitely influenced my choice of work.

I worked in forestry and in ecological research for most of my career apart from my Army days and early, pre-university work. During my outdoor career of over forty years I had a variety of experiences. For example, I spent six months living in the field in Antarctica and probably another aggregate year living in the field (and feeding mosquitoes) north of the Arctic Circle in Canada and Alaska. I worked as a seasonal smoke-chaser and smoke-jumper in the 1950's. I also worked as a timber cruiser in coastal Alaska and as a logger in Idaho at various times during my younger days. Most of this work required living "out" for long periods.

My observation is that most people involved in outdoor work do not spend much of their spare time hiking or backpacking. Rather, most outdoor workers of my acquaintance headed for the nearest city to partake of the benefits of civilization: beer, burgers, women and music. Sure, there were exceptions, including me on occasion, but for the most part, when the weekend came, the bright lights or home and family beckoned more than did the wild. I spend much more time hiking, mountaineering and backpacking now that I have retired than I did when I was working outdoors.