Duane
Re: electric fence. You want a fence that they can SEE and make the connection with other electric fences. I bought a roll of 1/4 inch polyester yellow rope at Harbor Freight for $14 and ran two strands above my wire fence and the deer don't go near it. Putting a strand of yellow rope along with a strand of yellow electric tape would look formidible. The deer appear to be intimidated by my yellow ropes that are not electrified.

Theres a lot of animal life in Oregon, many types even pronghorns, but you rarely ever see them. Its too country where I live to have "city critters" and the wild critters are too wild to come around much or to hit the garbage cans. I've never heard of a bear in Bend and the only bear in Sisters in ten years climbed onto the oil tank of my house to get away from all the people following him. When I looked out the back door I saw a bear's Butt going over my fence into the neighbors yard about 5 feet in front of me. Funny how you would recognise a bear's rear end with such a short view.

The Deschutes River is 2 miles from here across the lava flow. There are Osprey that cruise over here, and sometimes an eagle on the rising currents. Mostly we have semi-resident vultures and I've seen 50 in the air on "migration day" over Sisters. This area is known for its resident populations of woodpeckers and the beautiful flickers. I'd have to say our summer birds are varied but we will have nesting nuthatches and lots of stellar jays and mourning doves, and our winter bird are junkos.
Jim smile