Hi Bill,

The filter in that Sawyer bottle can be adapted to an in-line or gravity system, so it's pretty versatile.

I'll add on the chemical treat+filter option that it's better to filter first, even with a simple prefilter, and chemically treat second. That's because bacteria and viruses cling to particles and some portion of the treatment chemicals will be used up oxidizing dirt in the water. By prefiltering you have fewer organisms to treat and the chemicals will go further. (If the water is visibly very clear it may not make a difference.)

Cheers,

Originally Posted By billstephenson
This may, or may not, work for you, but it's not a bad option:

Use the chemical treatments like Pika mentioned and a Water Bottle with a filter in it like this Camelback Groove bottle.

If you already carry a water bottle, then the space required may be a non-issue.

If water is easy to get, these can work pretty good. I used one for a long time and filtering the water after it's been chem treated does make it taste better. I really only quit using it because I could no longer find filters for the brand I had. It seems that they've become a bit more popular this past year or two, so I may get one again.

The one I used had a soft bottle that you could squeeze to get water out of. That made it easy to squeeze a couple cups into my cooking pot. This one looks interesting (and a bit expensive) to me.

Anyway, it's an option to consider.