Originally Posted By Heather-ak
My winter hiking pants are a wonderful pair of Swedish WWII wool pants I got about 6 years ago. Got them inexpensively at Cheaper than Dirt. LOVE them. Have two pair. Only downside is the dry-cleaning.

My winter hiking pants are the same as yours. laugh I bought them for $20 at a surplus store. The first store I went to had a ton on sale for $13 and $14. But when I looked, all the sizes were 29-32 waist. My fat 38 aint getting in any of those. I was grateful to find some in my size at another store.
And, they are amazing pants. I could not believe how well they performed. I could roll in the snow with them, and they never got wet, the snow just fell off. I also didn't have to wear insulation under them standing around in the teens, or hiking when it was a hair above 0F. They started to get chilly with no insulation under them below 0F. They breath perfectly and I even wore them in my sleeping bag because they were dry after slogging through the snow for a few miles and running after my dog with the sled. I can also stand next to a fire and not worry about burn holes. I wish I had a lighter pair for summer. I have military dress pants from being in the army, but they are a brighter green then I want to wear. They might be too skinny also, since my butt has grown since basic. I wish I could find a nice pair in tan.

Oh yeah, dry cleaning. I put them in the washer on cold/cold and hang to dry.

Edited by finallyME (05/18/11 02:06 PM)