Originally Posted By Jimshaw
P
Both Dobermans and German shepherds are on the list that will require additional home owners insurance, simply because they CAN go ballistic and attack people, other than that I love the intelligence of shepherds, they're almost like playing ball with a human. On the other hand they are terrible hiking companions because they might attack other dogs or people on the trail. Of the three dogs that have ever forced me to draw a gun in self protection hiking, 2 were G. Shepherds and one was a Doby. Fortunately unless its a trained attack dog, they know when they are up against a superior enemy and stay back far enough to avoid being shot, on the other hand the people who take them hiking off leash and let tham range out ahead should be shot.
Jim

Again Jim, I think this is a lot less about the breed, and a lot more about what the dog has been trained (or not trained) to do. When people buy a dog to be a "guard dog" for "defense" or as a symptom of testosterone poisoining, are you really all that surprised? Now think about what breeds are more likely to be bought for such reasons, even in part, and there ya go.. it's not a symptom of the breed of dog, it's a symptom of (on average) the breed of owner.
Browse my pictures