It depends if it is wet-warm or wet-cold. In wet-warm (Lost Coast - 7 days) I finally accepted wet. I hiked in just my rain gear and then put on wool at night. Everything got damp but not wet. I stayed warm. Temperatures only varied from 66-70 degrees day and night. I got as much as 4 inchs of rain one night, 3 inches of rain one afternoon hiking, and no rain but 100+ humidity that made everything clamy.

Wet-cold is different. Again, I will sacrafice one layer of light wool under raingear. I do not get soaked, just damp. I agree that Gore-tex is worthless. I have gone back to simple coated nylon over-sized long poncho-style jacket. Hoods also do not work for me. A good cowboy hat is better. I have not yet done the umbrella - too much wind, but I think this would be great in less windy areas. I also only allow myself to get just so wet - then I will camp and crawl into my sleeping bag. I also drop to forests and build a big fire and dry out stuff when the rain eases.

I also will just sit out a very wet cold day.

I would not cancel a trip because of weather reports. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and we always drove to the trailhead and hiked into our base camp (for climbing). If we got a window - we would climb the peak, otherwise we just walked back out. These were weekend trips.

Working for NOLS in Wyoming, we would be out 35 days. WHen it rained we just trucked on. It really makes a difference being solo or with a larger group. A big group can do stuff a solo guy cannot. Like a group effort at building a warming fire. We would do classes on rainy days. Build a fire or sit under trees. This was in the early 1970's - before Gortex. Wool and coated nylon and cowboy hats is what we used.

As for strategy - make hay when the sun shines. Take advantage of windows of slightly better weather. I have at times set up my tent 4 times in a day while hiking!

In my old age, I moved to California. I love the Sierra weather. Great place for aging backpackers who have already paid their dues with rain.