Archimedes--what a sweet dog!

Hysson is wearing a Ruffwear Palisades pack in my avatar. I like this pack because of the separate harness. It's an older model, big enough for enough kibble for a 10-day trip. It's more of a bomber pack than I'd want to carry, but Hysson regularly bashes it into rocks and such, so he needs something sturdy. It has built-in water bladders that hold over a gallon each, which come in handy if we camp a long way from water. Needless to say, if I'm going to use him as a water carrier I unload his pack in camp first, and I don't put more than 2 quarts in each bladder!

I've been using a cut-down polypro baselayer top for a sweater, but for below-freezing nights it's not warm enough. I'm therefore looking for a kid's fleece jacket or pullover--hopefully Salvation Army or Goodwill. My daughter has warned me to get something loose that won't compress his downy undercoat (same effect as compressing your sleeping bag insulation). While Hysson, like all Labs, has a very thick coat, he's an indoor dog at home so is acclimated to sleeping at 60*, not 20*

I carry his pad (20x36x3/8" closed cell foam) and give him something of mine of equivalent weight to carry.

Hysson manages with a lightweight leash and no tie-out. He's not good with being tied up (he immediately winds the tie-out around his legs and body multiple times to the point he can't move), so I find the best thing is to tie his leash to a branch in such a way that it doesn't quite hit the ground and he can't put a foot over it. I therefore omit a tie-out, although I have a length of cord if I need it. If there's nobody else around, he's really good about staying close to me. Of course if there are others camped nearby, he stays on leash.

I take a pocket comb for grooming and use it every night (well, almost every night) before bedtime. Hysson sheds perpetually, and daily grooming definitely helps to keep piles of hair from accumulating in the tent. He really appreciates being groomed after a day of carrying his pack. Whether a pocket comb works for you depends on how hard it is to get a comb through Archimedes' hair!

First aid items travel in my first aid kit, because there is only one item (buffered aspirin) that I wouldn't take for me anyway. Even the vet wrap (self-adhering foam wrap), I've found, makes a good bandage for a human sprained ankle, with a little duct tape reinforcement on the outside, and is a lot lighter than Ace bandage.

My-daughter-the-veterinarian has advised me not to feed Hysson any more on a backpacking trip than I feed him at home, and to divide it into three feedings a day. I can always feed him more after the trip if he gets too thin. I had to curtail a trip last summer because of Hysson's barfing. Fortunately it turned out to just be that sensitive Labrador stomach.

Here's the best I can do with copy/paste of Hysson's gear list from Excel. This is for a nine-day trip, the maximum time we'd ever go out. Amounts are in ounces.

Ruffwear Palisades II dog pack (older model) 36.4
Carabiner (on pack)(so leash won't catch under pack bags)
Spectra line, 725 lb. test, 40 ft. 1.3
(dog tie-out, clothesline or bear hang--the last only if the ranger catches us, because I use an Ursack)
Dog dish, 1 qt. yogurt container 0.6
1 pint water in hydration bladders (1/2 pint each side)(may vary) 16.0
Dog food, 9 oz /day (2 1/4 cups) 9.0 per day 72.0 total
Dog food, emergency, 1 C 4.4
2 OP sacks (1 each side for dog food) 2.4
Ursack for dog food (for trips >7 days) 7.5
2-gal. ziplock bag, for wet/dirty clothes/laundry 0.7
Large plastic trash bag (for dog pack in vestibule) 1.3
Dog boots 3.6
Comb (groom dog) 0.5
1 Handiwipe in ziplock sandwich bag (groom dog) 0.3
Dog sweater (fleece) 6.0 estimated
Leash (6-ft puppy leash) and Gentle Leader headcollar 3.0
2 plastic shopping bags, for poop bags,muddy shoes, whatever 0.4
Item of mine to offset my carrying his pad 3.3

Dog total, oz. 159.7
Dog total, lbs. 10.0

Hysson weighs 80 lbs. so I try to keep his total pack weight under 12 lbs. (15% of his weight), the absolute maximum I let him carry. As he eats up his food, he gets to carry my garbage!

No toys because Hysson isn't particularly interested in retreiving (he won't swim, either!).