Paul,thanks very much for your input. I've done a lot of research on packs and fitting, and have tried on just about every pack in the northeast that is physically available to me. I can fit myself in the store without assistance. My specific fit problems are a short torso (16") and extra body weight that is all concentrated in the waist, sadly. Additonally I have very limited finances that must be spread across several outdoor activities, some of them pretty expensive (skiing, kayaking).

I presently have a Gregory Jade 50 that suits me in terms of its weight, padding, and features. If you met me on the trail you would say, "Hey, did you know that pack is 1" too long for you? The shoulder straps aren't wrapping enough."

I have a Gregory Baltoro that fits me perfectly after multiple swops of components. Shipping costs for that pack alone came to $40. I realized with my first trip that the Baltoro itself is too heavy for me, plus I'm not physically capable of carrying 70 liters, unless it's 70 liters of pillows.

Then there's my Mountainsmith Laurel that fits me well after a waistbelt swop, but the shoulder straps and waistbelt are as stiff and bulky as the Baltoro, and I want to go in the opposite direction, of a lighter, more flexible pack. Not much suspension in a Mountainsmith, either.

Osprey: fuggedaboutit, waistbelts too short. Ditto for EMS and all packs with the waitbelt attached at two points in a V (don't know the term for that).

I agree with you about fit versus features, with one exception: the suspension and waistbelt have to be able to carry your planned load; otherwise fit is moot. I had to cross off the Lowe Alpine Airzone Centro 45+10 which is perfect in every way, except that I don't believe it can really carry my planned load of 25 lbs due to the flimsy waistbelt.