Chris,

The main value I can add to the input you've already received is my experience transitioning from 8 years use of a Gregory Reality to a GG Vapor Trail. With only 100 miles logged on the Vapor Trail, so far I love it. I'm probably telling you something you already know, but before I bought the Gregory, I saw similar dissatisfaction with the Reality's side pocket/compression strap configuration that you're hearing now regarding the Vapor Trail. And yes, the position of the strap does limit the usability of the pockets, but I personally didn't find that to be a problem with either pack. I use 1 liter seltzer bottles for water, which are skinnier than most 1 liter Nalgenes that a lot carry. So, if you were OK with the Reality's pockets, you'll probably be OK with the Vapor Trail's.

I heartily recommend A/B testing as many packs as you can. I had a bias towards the Vapor Trail because I could try one on, and I could use my REI rebate/discount on it. The VT works for me, but you have a lot of good options.

Paul