Originally Posted By JPete
OH, PS for Bill. I loaded my pack up to about 7 or 8 kilos and went for a real (lotsa water, rough trail) hike the other day with my trainer. Stayed on my feet all the way. It was only 2.1 km, and it took us most of an hour. Can't tell you how much I enjoyed it.

I didn't have time to respond to this properly before, but I have to say you are a real inspiration for me, and Good for You!!!

For those of you who don't know JPete he's a senior member here who grew up in the Ozarks not far from where I live. You really need to know some history of the area to have some perspective on that, but suffice it say that living here, especially where he did, was tough back then. Everyday was akin to what survivalists try to practice these days.

JPete's also an accomplished tru-hiker, which means he's done more miles on just one of his trips than I have in my life. I won't reveal his age, but if I can reach it and do a +2k hike on what he calls a rough trail I'd be bragging my pair of asses off to everyone! laugh

Man, I wish I could've been there with you, and I know when you say rough trail you ain't kidding either. I think I might do a night or two myself here soon. My wife is talking about taking off for a few days to visit family and friends up north and our son is living here with us for a bit so he can take care of things.

This is past the end of season for me but it's been pretty nice out and the ticks aren't too awful bad this year, the chiggers ain't out yet, and we've had some good rain so the creeks are running pretty strong.

Things are as lush and green as I've ever seen them so the bears should be finding food way better tasting than me. Shoot, I could probably get out with a pack pretty close to 20 lbs this time of year. I don't need much more than the clothes on my back to stay warm.

If I do get all bit up and thumped on by a bear I'll blame it on you for inspiring me laugh

"You want to go where?"