So, I'm taking off next weekend on my first winter trip. I'm very comfortable in my skill level in the spring/summer/fall but this is going to be new to me so I have a few questions.

First, let me say that I'll be in the GSMNP, good old Southern Appalachians.

1. Does pace/total distance vary greatly going from 3-season to winter backpacking. I'm pretty comfortable doing 9-10 miles/day in the summer. Should I plan on doing less, average, or more?

2. Tent or backcountry shelter? My tent is rated as a 3-season tent. Its an older model Kelty Clark that weighs about 4 lbs and is a pretty sturdy tent. The weather is not going to be extreme (high winds and snow) so I'm thinking I might be able get away with using it. I don't like shelters too much but an willing to compromise.

3. Brand new 15 degree down bag or an old 5 lb 0 degree synthetic bag? According to the extended weather forecasts (which I realize can change), I can expect low temps around 25-15 degrees in the low elevation areas of the park. If I wanted to stay higher elevation (5000+ ft) where most of the shelters are, then I can expect lows in the single digits.

4. Any other general winter advice would be helpful. Clothes, cooking, etc.

So based on my experience and gear available, what would you recommend?