Hi Eric -

I have a Jannu and a Saivo and love them both (pics follow). The Saivo is rated for 3 but is a great 2-person winter tent with vestibules at each end large enough to hold a pulk or multiple packs. The Jannu is rated for 2 but is a tight squeeze with winter gear - but a great 1-person winter tent. First picture is the Jannu at Lone Star Geyser in Yellowstone, where we had temperatures far below zero, but no big storm:

And next is the Saivo at Lassen Volcanic National Park, after some snow and wind:

I also have a Bibler Tempest I picked up for super-cheap at an REI scratch and dent sale. I had an issue with poles bending in it in an extreme storm near Carson Pass (I believe they got bent while I was setting it up - when the tent is at its weakest - and it was at night with super-strong winds). Once it was fully staked out, it survived 80+ mph winds even with the bends. This picture is from the next day:

I'd recommend any of these, but give the edge to the Hillebergs. I find them much easier to set up in bad weather, more flexible for venting, they have more useful vestibules than the Tempest, and the Jannu is slightly lighter for comparable space. Downside is a bit more condensation when they're all sealed up.

Despite what Jim says about setting up his Bibler in a storm (his is smaller, and he's come up with a technique where he stands up and pulls it over his head like a bag to start putting the poles inside), I find the Hillebergs are dramatically easier in bad weather. Unlike most double-wall tents, both parts are connected and the poles go on the outside. It pitches all at once, which keeps the inside dry and clean (unlike the Biblers), and protects the inner tent.

Ping me if you want more detail on any of these.

- Steve

PS - I was the tarptent camper on the trip Tom mentioned - in those conditions of light snow and low winds it was fine, but I wouldn't want to be in a real winter storm in a tarptent, ever.