Several years ago, there was some discussion of this coffee brewing method. A recent discussion about food odors from dried coffee inspired me to post a recipe and revisit the topic.

Cold-brewed coffee concentrate

[at-home preparation]

formula:
x oz coffee (any amount, limited by the size of your brewing container)
x * 2.75 oz water
yield predictor: x * 1.15 = number of ounces of coffee concentrate (weight or fluid ounces--concentrate is similar in density to water).

example:
8 oz coffee
22 oz water (8 * 2.75)
approximate yield: 9 oz concentrate (8 * 1.15)

Directions: Grind coffee to medium-fine consistency and place in sealable container. Measure water and add slowly, being sure to moisten all the grounds. Seal the container and allow to brew for about 24 hours. After the first few hours, pat the side of the container or shake to allow the floating grounds to mix with the liquid. Thereafter, shake occasionally.

Separate grounds by draining through a drip coffee filter (just drain into the carafe). Drain all the grounds, extracting as much liquid concentrate as possible. Store coffee concentrate in airtight container in refrigerator until ready to use.

[on-trail preparation]

For each cup, add 10-12 ounces boiling water to 0.67-1.00 fluid ounces ounce coffee concentrate (=4-6 measured teaspoons, or 20-30ml). Add sugar and/or creamer as desired. ("Iced" coffee is a tasty alternative).

Storage: at home, as noted, in the fridge. On the trail, the concentrate seems stable and not prone to spoilage. I've used it after being out of the fridge for 12 days and it tasted great. Any liquid-tight container will do, although I'm partial to a collapsible Platy if it's a long trip or big group.