I know this is a old post but I'd thought I'd mention,

No amount of watching videos of people using knifes will help. Its one of those things you got to REALLY practice to learn, otherwise it becomes a liability when you take it out.

There are reasons why the military takes the time to teach their troops on the use of knives in a fight, without resorting to videos for the whole program but instead get "physical" to train for it.

Never mind the legal implications of using a knife or anything else for that matter for self defense in Canada.

Which brings me to my next point for any women who may be hiking alone in Canada and do use their bear spray on a human attacker, under NO circumstances say to the police you carried the bear/dog spray specifically for a human attacker. It was in your pack for what it was meant to do protect you from wildlife.

Quote:
Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 1

1. Any device designed to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person by the discharge therefrom of

(a) tear gas, Mace or other gas, or

(b) any liquid, spray, powder or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person.

Don't let the "Former" in the title fool you, its still law, just under a new law instead of a separate order. (They bunched up all the Prohibited orders together, grouping them up with such things as automatic firearms and machine guns, short barreled pistols, etc)

Dimitri