Oh, there is some more information I need to post...

So far I have one other person who says they will definitely do this trip with me, (so far but a lot has happened which I'll explain further down this post). The guy is my soon-to-be brother-in-law. Were good friends and we have done some day hikes together. The one thing I noticed though about him is that he has a long stride and hikes much faster than I do, (at least for now.) I know a lot of the AT through hike travel essays I have read most of the authors/backpackers said that they all hiked and preferred to hike alone. If he hikes with me on this trip I don't have a problem if he's always ahead of me, I just don't want to spend the entire trip stressed out because I'm trying to catch up. I guess it's not that big of a deal because I'm gonna make sure we agree to meet up at certain landmarks, shelters, etc.

Since we planned this trip my soon to be brother in law is about to be a father (I'm going to be a uncle) and him and my sister have bought a house. Those are some major changes in ones life, (I've been there) so there is a decent chance he may not be able to go. There are two other people I know that are interested, but the chances of them actually going are very slim. My fiancee and I have discussed this trip in great detail. She wants me to go but not go by myself. To tell you all the truth, I'm not real comfortable doing this trip by myself, and will probably not go if I can't find anyone to go with me.

I have recently joined some hiking and backpacking clubs in the area where I live where they meet up and day hike and backpack. This looks to be a good opportunity to meet fellow hikers/backpackers that may be interested.

Again I am determined to do this, however if I cannot for whatever reason, I have to accept that. I see it as God having other plans for me. So far though plans and conditioning are being made and done, (my fiancee got me a gym membership for my birthday because of this trip). I'm gonna keep this thread alive and bump it on occasion when I have more questions, comments, and updates.

Thank you all for all the information you have given me!!!

Tom

Edited by 12Step (05/22/08 03:33 AM)