I do not like the rain. So I would never plan a trip where I knew I was to be in rain day after day. In most cases I build contingency into my travel plans to be able to sit out the rain. Since I do a lot of off-trail travel and at higher altitudes, rain is not only miserable, but dangerous, such as hopping slick rocks and lightening.

It was rainy on the Lost Coast, but warm rain. I finally settled on the "naked under raingear" theory - and wool for inside the tent. I was warm but really did not like that continual "prune" feeling. Also in coastal vegetation, I got just as wet from head-high wet vegetation on the overgrown trails.

In cold rain, particularly rain that turns to snow, I avoid hiking. Once I was caught on a pass and simply had to get down. I realized I was getting hypothermic, so stopped, made hot soup and that did the trick. I dropped down to below timber and built a fire as soon as I could find a place with sufficient wood. At some point, for me, I simply must have external warmth added. Rain near freezing point plus a wind is really dangerous. Simply keeping moving is not enough for me. I particuarly have trouble keeping my feet warm. Once hiking in a pouring rain with my head down, I missed a critical trail sign and went the wrong way for 5 miles. The "miles" I made that day were essentially wasted.

I personally think snow is a lot easier to hike in than rain. This may also be that most rain I have been in has also been windy - horizontal rain is different than a light vertically falling rain.

When I worked at NOLS, we used rainy days for classes and in-camp activities. This worked quite well. Since you are at camp you can duck into your tent or tarp when things get too much. I have also observed that being in a group is different than being solo in the rain. In a group you have a bit of backup.