I don't mean to get on my soapbox, but there is something I need to vent out and am curious of your opinions. The area I like to backpack and dayhike is a popular area for hikers and campers. A few weeks ago I was at an outfitter getting some small odds and ends and had an interesting conversation with some of the stores staff. I told the staff where I was going and heard "horror stories" of redneck's locals robbing backpackers, a couple getting raped and killed, and other various stories. The amusing aspect of these stories, is that I heard of almost all of these stories 15 years ago when I first started hiking. But these stories only happened "a couple years ago."

One of the map books I have read about marked and unmarked trails in the area I hike has a Forward in the book explaining where the author admitted he used to tell other hikers "horror stories". He did this so hikers wouldn't hike where they were going to hike with the reason that too many hikers were "demaging the earth". He admitted his actions were wrong, and instead informed people how to take care of the area you hike in.

Selfishness masked by "environmental concern". (whether the concern is valid or not.)

Of course it is important to leave no trace, to carry out your trash, and generally care for the area you visit. After I read this, one of the guys I know who works there stated that some of the employees say that because they get tired carrying out trash when they hike, and figure the less hikers the less trash and destruction. Funny that these employees are trying to scare customers that are buying expensive gear where some of the profit goes to paying them.

It's not your trail, not your mountain, not your stream. We all have the right to be hiking. A trail is not "yours" unless the land has your name on the deed. If you are concerned about the area you love to hike, inform and educate others. That whole I deserve to hike here, not you crap is a joke.

The boogyman will get you...lol.

Tom

Edited by 12Step (05/01/08 09:42 PM)